Hardtail For 150Mm

1337 Trials

Hello. Im running 150mm (Bomber Dropp offs 150mm) and want to upgrade to either Pike's which go to 140mm or the rockshox domains which are 180mm. Im currently running a frame which is recommended for 110mm forks max.

Can you recommend some good hardtails for use with 150mm forks? I don't think you can get hardtails for 180mm forks can you so it looks like ile be going for Pike's.

Edited by 1337 Trials

Thanks Matt (im guessing thats your name by your username). I will be buying second hand as well to save money :).Ile then sell my da bomb grenade frame as its in brilliant condition. I do like the look of the Troof

Do most frames designed for 150mm + forks have 1.5 steerer tubes?

Edited by 1337 Trials

Santacruz chameleon? Designed to take up to 150 although 120-140 is the better length apparantly, Im using Z3 QR20s on mine and it seems perfect. Not sure in the older models will suit the same fork length, mine is a very early mk2 (october '03 I got it) but I dont think the geometry changed greatly, you will need to be looking at a mk2 at least if youre running disks.

Santacruz chameleon? Designed to take up to 150 although 120-140 is the better length apparantly, Im using Z3 QR20s on mine and it seems perfect. Not sure in the older models will suit the same fork length, mine is a very early mk2 (october '03 I got it) but I dont think the geometry changed greatly, you will need to be looking at a mk2 at least if youre running disks.

I will keep an eye out for one of these. They look pretty smart. Im running single speed at the moment but hope to change to 9 speed soon in order to ride trails etc. As im buying second hand I am noticing a lot of the frames are pretty rare to find second hand so ile keep an eye out for a few suitable frames then buy the one which comes up second hand.

EDIT: just seen the price and I wont be getting a Santacruz Chameleon

Edited by 1337 Trials

Cotic BFe? That's what I'd get. You have to bear in mind that geometry changes dramatically on a hardtail. If you hit a large drop and bottom out your forks, you can expect a big change in headangle. E.g. If the head angle is 68 degrees at 140mm, with the forks compressed it's going to be more like 73 degrees, considerably steeper and you'll get into trouble if you hit something at that stage. On a full sus you don't get such a pronounced change like that.

Cotic reckon the Bfe is just about OK with 160mm forks. I reckon this would be stupid for the above reasons, but it's happy with 140 at any rate.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/136858/

lol

I've got a prototype Stanton Slackline that i'm running Fox 36's on. I'll be selling it in the next week or so.

One of these: http://www.stantonbikes.com/content/slackline-853-available-now in 16.5 and in cherry red, it's identical just has no stickers. Bloody lovely frame just going back to a full-sus bike.

I've got a prototype Stanton Slackline that i'm running Fox 36's on. I'll be selling it in the next week or so.

One of these: http://www.stantonbi...3-available-now in 16.5 and in cherry red, it's identical just has no stickers. Bloody lovely frame just going back to a full-sus bike.

Ile give that a miss bud because ive got some anodized red parts. I do like them ragley's so ile keep an eye out for one. I may have found a full time job so if thats the case ile buy forks now then save a little and get a full sus frame I think.

Ile give that a miss bud.

1. I have red parts

2. I still have a lot of trials stuff to sell before I get £150 and I only wanted to spend £100/£120 really. Just something that can support the current 150mm forks I have and the ones I hope to buy soon

Isn't that a mk 1 chameleon? Thought the mk 2 had the treat disk tab on the fame rather than the bolt on bracket and the calliper below the chainstay. If that's not the case then I must have a mk 3? Is it the usa or taiwan made frame?

Either way I would get it for 150 quid if it comes with the disk adaptors, can always repaint the frame if you really don't like the red and blue combo :)

Isn't that a mk 1 chameleon? Thought the mk 2 had the treat disk tab on the fame rather than the bolt on bracket and the calliper below the chainstay. If that's not the case then I must have a mk 3? Is it the usa or taiwan made frame?

Either way I would get it for 150 quid if it comes with the disk adaptors, can always repaint the frame if you really don't like the red and blue combo :)

How much is to get a frame professionally painted? Any links to any sites that do it?

Thanks

Not sure on cost but you should be able to get it powdercoated for 30-40 quid depening on how well you know the powdercoaters and if they will do it on a run of current colour they are using. If you want it black or white (or one of the more common powdercoat colours) then you will more likely get a faster, cheaper turn around, phone around you local coaters and see what colours they commonly have running through; they should be able to advise on the cost and timescale for a different colour. They might also be able to strip the frame aswell, alternatively you could do that yourself to save a few quid. Ask them what prep work you need to do, being an older chameleon, I dont think the paint was very thick so should come off pretty easily with nitromors.

That said, whats wrong with a blue frame and red components?

Edited by forteh

Ile give that a miss bud.

1. I have red parts

2. I still have a lot of trials stuff to sell before I get £150 and I only wanted to spend £100/£120 really. Just something that can support the current 150mm forks I have and the ones I hope to buy soon

Not gonna lie, but this is the best frame for 150mm forks. Used to fly past the DH'ers on this thing with SO much confidence!

001.jpg

You can have it for £80 if you like :)

Edit: Good times..

alpes091.jpg

Edited by casualjoe

One of these: http://www.stantonbi...3-available-now in 16.5 and in cherry red, it's identical just has no stickers. Bloody lovely frame just going back to a full-sus bike.

Juuust out of question, what made you decide on that frame?

Juuust out of question, what made you decide on that frame?

Combination of reviews (all seem to be pretty glowing and positive) that it got, materials it's made from (completely Reynolds steel) so it's reasonably light but really strong and the geo; It's perfect for forks between 120-160mm of travel depending on how you want to ride it. It rides really really nicely going up and down, only reason I'm changing is I've got given a full sus frame.

Edited by craigjames

Combination of reviews (all seem to be pretty glowing and positive) that it got, materials it's made from (completely Reynolds steel) so it's reasonably light but really strong and the geo; It's perfect for forks between 120-160mm of travel depending on how you want to ride it. It rides really really nicely going up and down, only reason I'm changing is I've got given a full sus frame.

Hmm how much are you looking for it?