Vertical Pad Alignment

omgnoseat

I've been having this problem for a while, but am not sure what the cause is. As far as I'm aware you can only control the horizontal alignement of pads towards the rim, but not the vertical alignment.

Which caused one side of the brakepad to hit the rim earlier than the other.

post-8669-0-97096700-1341094506_thumb.jp

I can align them properly when the bolts are loose, but as soon as I tighten the alignment messes up.

I don't feel comfortable using my new pads because I'm sure they will wear at an angle :(

That rims either a Try-All, Trialtech or Atomz rim by looking at it. Echo rims have flat sidewalls, and the urbans have a raised center section in the middle of the rim.

The pads will wear in at an angle, but that wont affect performance. With continued use you will find that the brakes performance increases as the pads wear into the angle of the rim. Nothing wrong with your setup, just how it is.

What clamps are you using?

Echo TR's

You'd be cheaper getting some different clamps and Echo SL washers

If they're clamps that need washers get a set of these http://www.tartybike.../c74p11372.html assuming they currently have plastic washers fitted. Should sort your problem

I'm not using any washers indeed, I thought their only purpose was to "slide" adjust the pads, instead of clicking them with ridges on the hs33 caliper. Thanks for the heads up.

They're supposed to wear at an angle.

That rims either a Try-All, Trialtech or Atomz rim by looking at it. Echo rims have flat sidewalls, and the urbans have a raised center section in the middle of the rim.

The pads will wear in at an angle, but that wont affect performance. With continued use you will find that the brakes performance increases as the pads wear into the angle of the rim. Nothing wrong with your setup, just how it is.

I am indeed using try-all rims. I never realised that pads were supposed to wear at an angle. Thanks.

One other problem that's not visible is that the pads (from the perspective of the picture) "front" and "back" allignment is also crooked, meaning that the back will hit the rim earlier than the front. Which I do think is a unintended problem. But I assume that new clamps and washers should fix this, thanks!

Run a file across your frames brake mounts diagonally (over two holes at a time on each stay) untill theyre all shiny. The reason your pads hit the rim at different places will be down to.your mounts not being 100% square. The filing will solve this.

Saves buying new clamps and washers ;)

That will only make the pad hit horizontally

He will stil have the same problem, either different clamps or rim with a straight side wall

Run a file across your frames brake mounts diagonally (over two holes at a time on each stay) untill theyre all shiny. The reason your pads hit the rim at different places will be down to.your mounts not being 100% square. The filing will solve this.

Saves buying new clamps and washers ;)

To get a pad sat straight/in line to the rim.

I don't run a booster but when i tighten my clamps i tighten them equally so they are sat level i then put a bank card between the pad n rim and hold the piston in line with my hand and then tighten it up that seems to work for me.

He will stil have the same problem, either different clamps or rim with a straight side wall

He won't have the same problem if he stops shitting his britches and actually goes out and rides. It takes maybe one ride for the pads to wear at an angle. There's no need to pay money for new clamps, wait for them to arrive and then spend ages setting the brake up again or even worse rebuilding your wheel. You can go out and ride, it's free and it will sort the problem out while you're having fun.

• Like 1