Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Do you NEEEEEED to overclock? If you're not worried about the life of your board and that 900mhz increase is really what you need then yeah makes sense to overclock it. But if that 900mhz gives you an extra 20fps in Solitare and you're worried about the life of the board than maybe overclocking is not necessary.

To be honest, you system specs should be able to play majority of recent games across your 3 monitors no problem on base speeds anyway!

Do you NEEEEEED to overclock? If you're not worried about the life of your board and that 900mhz increase is really what you need then yeah makes sense to overclock it. But if that 900mhz gives you an extra 20fps in Solitare and you're worried about the life of the board than maybe overclocking is not necessary.

To be honest, you system specs should be able to play majority of recent games across your 3 monitors no problem on base speeds anyway!

Didn't build a system with this sort of spec to leave it stock. :lol:

I'm just interested to see what it can do within reason really. I'm not going to risk killing it, so probably just going to stick to a sensible voltage (maybe 1.25v) and see what clocks I can get stable. Plenty of people are getting 4.4ghz at that.

Once I've run the benchmarks and scored it etc, I'm planning on dropping it to 4.0ghz and seeing how low I can push the voltages, then leaving it at that.

I think with the last last system I built with a Q6600 I only overclocked that thing when it was getting on a bit to 3.6 ghz.

Then with the current 4670k I managed to get it to 4.6ghz and gamed for a few hours so I guess it was stable? But it was at around 1.35v which I didn't like so I dropped it all back to stock speeds, never overclocked it since lol. Maybe when this system is getting on a bit as well and I need a little more power I'll overclock it then.

My last system was an AMD 965BE which was 3.4ghz stock, and at the absolute max vcore that was "safe" it would do 3.8ghz, so I knocked it back. Totally shit CPU.

I doubt this CPU will be close to bottlenecking even the next generation of cards, but I guess the headroom is there if I need it.

I think mines around 1.35v at 4.3ghz I think. Maybe 4.4 but I think I dropped it down to 4.3 after multiple crashes.

What CPU do you have?

Posted on the OCUK forum about my build, so won't keep banging on about it in here. :P

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28189881

Edited by Muel

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9392/windows-insiders-to-receive-full-windows-10

Good news for anyone like me who wants Win10 but doesn't want to pay for it. :lol:

Essentially, sign up for Windows Insider (can use gmail and other login options), download, install and use Win10 until July 29th and then the email address you signed up with will get a full licence assigned to it, so it authenticates when you log in to the computer.

Not sure if it's tied to one set of hardware like the OEM copies yet though.

• Like 1

Downloaded the iso and noted the serial code, so do I need to install the IP version before win10 is released proper or can I use this to install at any time and it will automatically convert itself to the release version of win10?

Should I do the upgrade over my current win7 install? Fresh install is obviously better but it's a lot more hassle with a lot of stuff to re-download.

Nah you need it installed and running on something. Once you install, you are required to log into your Windows Insider account, which then tells them that you're actually testing the thing. If you continue to use it until after July 29th, you will get a proper licence assigned to your account.

I've got my girlfriend to sign up and installed it on my spare computer, and planning on running it on my desktop from my old SSD.

Dunno about upgrade to be honest, I've only ever done fresh installs. :D

Bare in mind that at the moment there is a lack of drivers and software that works properly. People are going to have to write that. :P Not even sure if my GPUs are supported...

I meant for when I reinstall win10 on the ssd :)

I'll only install the ip in a hard disk, test some drivers and see if solidworks runs, technically I am reading it for work.

Ah reet, yeh should be fine then. All you need to do is delete everything but the steam.exe and the steamapps folder from the installation on the storage drive, and then run steam.exe and it will install it using the games present in steamapps.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9392/windows-insiders-to-receive-full-windows-10

Good news for anyone like me who wants Win10 but doesn't want to pay for it. :lol:

Essentially, sign up for Windows Insider (can use gmail and other login options), download, install and use Win10 until July 29th and then the email address you signed up with will get a full licence assigned to it, so it authenticates when you log in to the computer.

Not sure if it's tied to one set of hardware like the OEM copies yet though.

How are we defining 'use'? Can I just install it and then use it once and come July 29th I get my free copy?

Also, I'm having an issue getting the insider copy to boot. Threw in an old HDD (literally) and installed win 10 onto it. It restarted for the first time then when it hit delete to bring up the boot list, selected the correct drive, it booted win 7 from my SSD. Can't seem to get it to boot and finish it's installation.

How are we defining 'use'? Can I just install it and then use it once and come July 29th I get my free copy?

Also, I'm having an issue getting the insider copy to boot. Threw in an old HDD (literally) and installed win 10 onto it. It restarted for the first time then when it hit delete to bring up the boot list, selected the correct drive, it booted win 7 from my SSD. Can't seem to get it to boot and finish it's installation.

No idea to be honest. It's been published widely that they're monitoring your useage so I guess you'll have to do something on it fairly regularly.

Dunno about your boot woes. Tried disconnecting the SSD and any other HDDs?

No idea to be honest. It's been published widely that they're monitoring your useage so I guess you'll have to do something on it fairly regularly.

Dunno about your boot woes. Tried disconnecting the SSD and any other HDDs?

Yeah I guess that is the next step, however annoying as it is.

Ended up installing on an old laptop. So I never used the key they gave me... was it automatically applied or do I still need to do this?

I've not entered it either. As long as you long into Win10 with the same email address that you signed up to the insider preview with, then you'll be reet.

So then my next question... how do you log in to windows 10?

There is a button in the bottom right of the pretty picture screen after booting, click that and it should prompt you.

• 2 weeks later...

I filmed my bands last gig on my Gopro and after the set we were rushed as I was coping it to a laptop and I pulled it out without ejecting. Now I cant open it at all. I can find it under Device Management as Generic Storage Device but I cant do anything other than update or uninstall the drivers, neither of which do anything helpful.

Am I screwed and doomed to format it and loose all of my footage or can I save it?
I'm also really confused as we put the chip into another Gopro and it worked fine...