Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

I've been testing it for a couple of months. No idea how any W7 user can't like it, it looks nicer, it's faster and the codebase is much cleaner and tidier (or so I've read).

I am still collecting and modding watercooling parts. Not long now!

Aye fair enough. I'm in a stranger position where I have no usable W7 or W8 licence keys so can't get the free upgrade. I am a windows insider tester whatever, but you need to remain on insider preview builds for it to remain valid and they collect all of your info, so not interested in running that on my main system.

Looks like I'll have to shell out £100+ for Windows 10 then...

They didn't mention pirated stuff, they said that non-genuine copies would remain non-genuine. That would be cases like mine, where I had a licence from uni that only allows you to reinstall 5 times and I've filled the quota now. :P

So that means you can upgrade to a non genuine version of Win 10?

I believe so, yes. I'm just going to buy W10 at some point though because I want my new computer to be all sorted and nice. :P

Win7 pro simply upgrades to win10 pro :)

Mine went through perfectly using a license key borrowed from one of the old win7 pro workstations from work. It is a genuine copy though, not sure how non genuine would with out.

Already looked into doing something similar. Problem is that there are no workstation boards for 1366 apart from the EVGA SR2 which are extremely rare. The server boards like that one don't usually support SLI, USB3 or SATA3 and while the CPUs can be overclocked, the boards are usually lacking many options to do so.

They're great is you need a server, but as a desktop machine they don't really work IMO. Best option is to buy a second hand 1366 desktop board and get an X5660/5670 and then you'll have way more options for overclocking and using modern SSDs etc.

Anyone know how to set up cascading routers? I've read that on the 2nd one you shouldn't have anything plugged into the WAN port, but if I set it up like that I get no internet. But right now I'm getting disconnected from the router every once in a while. I have dhcp disabled.

Cascading routers? Like using one as a router, and another as a WAP? I just plugged a cable into a LAN port on each as disabled DHCP, firewall and the logs on the WAP one. Not looked at it again in over 2 years. :P

For those who are interested, I've started another project before my main rig is finished. It's a mini-itx, watercooled, overclocked server purely for running Minecraft from. (Minecraft server needs single threaded performance, so my main file/development server just can't handle it).

Edited by Muel

Cascading routers? Like using one as a router, and another as a WAP? I just plugged a cable into a LAN port on each as disabled DHCP, firewall and the logs on the WAP one. Not looked at it again in over 2 years. :P

Modem > V7 router > powerline adapter > V10 router (WAN port) > My computer.

It's allowing me to extend out the wifi, and have 3 things on a wired network.