Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

One thing at a time :)

It'll only really be used for gaming, although very infrequently. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I just want to be able to play some racing sims with a 'fair' level of immersion when I do get the chance to play. Just waiting for my iRacing updates to download and then I'll see whether it'll run at all on this setup. Unlikely I'd imagine, but worth a go. 

CPU wise, apparently the same 'category' are the FX-8120, Phenom 2 X6 1075T, A8 3850, Athlon X4 651K although I haven't checked them out price wise. Is there a certain 'type' that is better for the gaming side?

Yeh, Intel. :lol:

For dabbly gaming on a single display at 1080p or less, you should be OK but don't expect anything special. Not sure about categories and that but my mate's A10 is not as fast as my old 965BE, so definitely not as fast as a 1075T. Can't comment on the other CPUs you mentioned though as I don't follow AMD any more, they haven't really made a high-end desktop CPU since 2011 (everything since has been a refresh) so I stick to Intel these days.

If anyone is interested, my hardline tubing has arrived for my next project (watercooling my main desktop). Everything else is on the way, and I've gone with the same fluid, tubing and fittings as in this image: http://cdn.overclock.net/f/f1/f1cb92eb_DSC_01102_zpsc6a7998b.jpeg

CPU only loop for now, as there are no waterblocks available for my GTX960s but if I ever feel the need for more gaming horsepower I'll upgrade them. It's mostly used as a workstation so CPU, RAM and storage matters more to me.

Yeh, Intel. :lol:

For dabbly gaming on a single display at 1080p or less, you should be OK but don't expect anything special. Not sure about categories and that but my mate's A10 is not as fast as my old 965BE, so definitely not as fast as a 1075T. Can't comment on the other CPUs you mentioned though as I don't follow AMD any more, they haven't really made a high-end desktop CPU since 2011 (everything since has been a refresh) so I stick to Intel these days.

I'd happily switch to Intel, I actually have no idea why this one is AMD. Must've just been cheap at the time. I guess, though, that even getting into the discounts involved with a bundle I'm unlikely to get something decent with the GTX660 as well for the £150 mark?

I'd happily switch to Intel, I actually have no idea why this one is AMD. Must've just been cheap at the time. I guess, though, that even getting into the discounts involved with a bundle I'm unlikely to get something decent with the GTX660 as well for the £150 mark?

Nah not for £150. I'd either go with your plan, or start saving for a new build.

Nah not for £150. I'd either go with your plan, or start saving for a new build.

Yea, it's a complete unnecessary cost ultimately. The £150 is fairly arbitrary in terms of what I think I can get past the wife without her noticing ;) I think I'll go with that unless I see any ridiculously better options tonight.

Can't comment on the amd processor but I am super happy with my 660, runs gtav on high settings at 60-80 fps. That is being driven by an i5@4.5ghz though so plenty of speed behind it.

Best thing to do would be to google  the performance in project cars with that cpu.

I paid £150 for my 2500k and Asus p67 sabretooth off eBay and once overclocked is easily level with haswell chips for gaming.

Edited by forteh

I've always trusted HD Tune. Is it a software or hardware RAID you're running them in?

Good call. HD Tune detected a few serious errors, an hour later one of the drives disappeared from Windows and then from BIOS. They used to be in hardware RAID.

oIQRSqS.png

It's funny how both drives are the same and both have experienced the same major issues.

WD Caviar Green or Enterprise... 

Edited by Greetings

Can't comment on the amd processor but I am super happy with my 660, runs gtav on high settings at 60-80 fps. That is being driven by an i5@4.5ghz though so plenty of speed behind it.

Best thing to do would be to google  the performance in project cars with that cpu.

I paid £150 for my 2500k and Asus p67 sabretooth off eBay and once overclocked is easily level with haswell chips for gaming.

I ended up realising that my motherboard could only take FM1 chips so ended up ordering a 3870k and the gtx660. Both for under £100 so that's handy. I only ended up putting the order in because iRacing was taking so login to install. As it happened it plays well anyway so any improvement will be fine by me. It's not about the graphics in that anyway - the simulation is spot on. Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

Good call. HD Tune detected a few serious errors, an hour later one of the drives disappeared from Windows and then from BIOS. They used to be in hardware RAID.

It's funny how both drives are the same and both have experienced the same major issues.

WD Caviar Green or Enterprise... 

Aye, Samsung F3 1tb by the looks of it? I also have 2 and they've been faultless for five years. Weird that both of yours have died at the same time.

I'd just go with any cheap 7200rpm desktop drives, but buy two and use software to sync them. Wouldn't bother with RAID personally, it allows for drive redundancy but any other component in the system can still fail, including the RAID card.

I ended up realising that my motherboard could only take FM1 chips so ended up ordering a 3870k and the gtx660. Both for under £100 so that's handy. I only ended up putting the order in because iRacing was taking so login to install. As it happened it plays well anyway so any improvement will be fine by me. It's not about the graphics in that anyway - the simulation is spot on. Thanks for all the help!

Got a motherboard to go with it? Will be a nice system that. Seriously though dude, get an SSD to go with it. They're the best thing since PCIE sockets. :lol:

Supposedly the fastest I can fit in that motherboard, and twice as fast as a what I've got in there now. If I actually use it more than once a month I'll build something else anyway, although for the cost of a decent rig I might as well actually go racing.

Also not to be confused with a 3970k which is a f**king uberbeast of a processor and no way in hell you'll get one for 150 quid :D

In all honesty it will either play ok or be shite, there are some games that amd processors really can't handle (arma3 being one of them) and your only option is to run intel because they have far superior single core processing performance.  That said intel haven't made massive leaps and bounds since they released sandybridge (2nd generation core processors) and the 2500k/3570k are still go to chips for gaming machines if you want to build cheap :)

Aye, Samsung F3 1tb by the looks of it? I also have 2 and they've been faultless for five years. Weird that both of yours have died at the same time.

I'd just go with any cheap 7200rpm desktop drives, but buy two and use software to sync them. Wouldn't bother with RAID personally, it allows for drive redundancy but any other component in the system can still fail, including the RAID card.

Says HD103UJ on the drive. Indeed, it's quite odd that both failed. I haven't been using them for some years.

Bought a WD Green 3TB 7200. Don't want RAID or anything like that anymore, 2x more hard drives = 2x higher failure risk. Time to move 2TB of data onto it... 

Somehow, apart from their SSD drive, every single Samsung device I've used is either crap or has broken down.

--

edit: can someone advise on LTE antennas and modems? Talking about the stuff that will boost a signal which is hardly available. I'm fed up with my broadband, it's weird how the speeds I'm getting are even legal. 

Also a dumb question about routers. Can I forward the internet connection from the LTE router to another router? 

Edited by Greetings

• 2 weeks later...

okay we have 2 issues with my PC

The GTX 770 is a beast, the " problem" is that the software lets it OC to the max, and that is 85C, and the cooler cant really keep up so it is really loud.

secondly, the whole PC is really warm. so warm in fact that even when I leave it idling for a few hours in the closed room (10% use on CPU and GPU) my room is much warmer...

ideas I have: get a i5 haswell with a mobo so the CPU will be 84W TDP instead of 125W

get a more efficient cooling like WC and keep the temps low.

Problem with these ideas is that they are expensive. Skylake is a bit more, thanks to DDR4.

So I wait until I sell my car, and probably look into this problem a bit more

that sounds toasty ;)

What case + cpu cooler you got? My q6600 is rated at 105watt tpd, and with a zalman cnps10x and a haf 932, its running at 20-30c under normal load. and thats with the case fans turned right down and a resistor on the cpu fan.

Maybe a decent size case and a decent cpu cooler will help?

that sounds toasty ;)

What case + cpu cooler you got? My q6600 is rated at 105watt tpd, and with a zalman cnps10x and a haf 932, its running at 20-30c under normal load. and thats with the case fans turned right down and a resistor on the cpu fan.

Maybe a decent size case and a decent cpu cooler will help?

I have an ATX case, Zalman Z11, with a Xigmatek Dark Knight 2 cooler

The CPU is cool, the cooler works and it is not loud. the GPU with its 230W TDP is the big heater, and then there is my FX 8320 (stock clocks) rated 125W.

maybe a CPU and a (later) GPU combo (980 or R9 nano?) would be a good investment. especially that I cant wait for the Ocolus Rift

I have an ATX case, Zalman Z11, with a Xigmatek Dark Knight 2 cooler

The CPU is cool, the cooler works and it is not loud. the GPU with its 230W TDP is the big heater, and then there is my FX 8320 (stock clocks) rated 125W.

maybe a CPU and a (later) GPU combo (980 or R9 nano?) would be a good investment. especially that I cant wait for the Ocolus Rift

you running additional fans in your case?

Looks like the stock Zalman Z11 runs 3 x 120mm fans

My gtx 660 lost almost 40℃ off peak load temperatures after I fitted a thermalright gpu cooler with a 140mm fan to cool it. Much cooler and silent, takes up a lot of space; fortunately as I don't have a case this isn't a problem.

The gtx had little to no thermal paste on the heatsink, putting a layer of decent paste in there and reseating the heatsink will probably help a load :)

you running additional fans in your case?

Looks like the stock Zalman Z11 runs 3 x 120mm fans

I run only 1 fan, as in Northern Ireland I had fairly cool air at PC level (18 ish) so I did not needed them. I might install a few back. 

The temps seems about right, and the GPU OC like a beast, so there is that.