Martyn Ashton & Martin Hawyes

Ross McArthur

Aside from Reed Mershat's movies I think the explosive growth of the UK trials scene in the mid / late 90s can be pinned squarely and deservedly upon Martin & Martyn . Also kinda interesting how Mr.Ashton's physique influenced his riding .

Compared to the average to skinny built Coustelliers et al , Ashton pretty much manhandles / throws the bike using the shoulders and forearms as much as pedal power . Anyone remeber the MBUK article like years ago where Ashton flexes his forearms ( swoon ) next to someone wearing a comically exaggerated popeye costume resulting in a pretty much favourable comparison ?

Also ( skip to 2 minutes in ) :

• Like 1

Any video with the Marts in is bound to be epic.

These were the guys that inspired me to start trials.

They are still good riders for who they are from when they use to rep it back in the day.

I'll always put these guys in my favourite riders category.

It would be good to see regular videos of these guys,

Loved it.

EDIT: I still look on ebay for a Giant Team Trials sig frame on ebay. So tempted to build a old skool bike.

Andy

Does any one know what the first part of that video is from? Looks like an interview of some sort, can't find it any where.

Any video with the Marts in is bound to be epic.

These were the guys that inspired me to start trials.

They are still good riders for who they are from when they use to rep it back in the day.

I'll always put these guys in my favourite riders category.

It would be good to see regular videos of these guys,

Loved it.

EDIT: I still look on ebay for a Giant Team Trials sig frame on ebay. So tempted to build a old skool bike.

Andy

I still ride my first one today (although it's black but that can be changed). I have another one as well with Middleburns, RaceLines, DCD etc. The main reason I want to buy a new frame is so I don't break one of them as they are pretty rare these days.

• 2 weeks later...