I'm Looking For A Bike Thing

Stephen Morris

It's a long story, but my girlfriend's boss has given me a copy of Snow Leopard for my Mac on the condition that I find a bike product for him. Not that long a story actually.

The product has been described to me as some sort of quick release device that goes on the handlebars and allows you to loosen the headset in order to quickly turn the bars in line with the frame and wheels. The purpose is that it allows you to quickly turn a bike from being a fairly awkward shaped item into something that could lay flat against a wall - think space saving in a small flat sort of thing.

Has anybody seen, bought, sold one of these mysterious items before? Do they have a name, do you know where they're sold, is there just one type or is this a niche genre that I've stumbled on?

I'd greatly appreciate any help regarding this important matter.

Much love,

Stephen Morris.

As above,a lthough it isn't the top cap you need to loosen off. It really is only the stem clamp bolts. Is it really that hard to carry a small multi-tool and nip them off a bit to turn it?

The person in question is new to bikes and has a lot of money. I fear that if he doesn't find this product he will employ somebody to do just that, tighten and loosen the stem on a daily bass.

More importantly, why isn't he giving you Lion/Mountain Lion?

I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard before I can upgrade to Mountain Lion as the Mountain Lion download requires access to the App Store which wasn't available on my OSX 10.5 Leopard version.

That seems excessive, but would definitely do the job. Great find, thanks Tom.

It would be great to present the gentleman in question with a few options, so would appreciate it if anybody else has other suggestions.

I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard before I can upgrade to Mountain Lion as the Mountain Lion download requires access to the App Store which wasn't available on my OSX 10.5 Leopard version

Off topic, but you could just buy it from the app store on someone elses Mac (with your sign in, obviously) but don't download it. Then, on your Leopard laptop you could download Lion through a torrent completely legally and just install from a USB drive...

That is off topic.

As it happens I installed Snow Leopard last night, checked my system to make sure I now had OSX version 10.6 (I do), but I still can't find the app store anywhere and there are hardly any differences at first glance from Leopard. I'll have to do more digging later this evening after I've cooked chilli con carne (chilli with meat). Unless of course you could tell me how much of a dick I'm being and point me in the right direction.

I think it's 10.6.6 you need for the app store, but I'm not near any computer to check, just on my phone.

EDIT: Yep, 10.6.6 gives you the app store. If you've got 10.6.6 then just hit apple + spacebar and type it in as a search. Sorted.

If you're only on 10.6 then you need to hit up software update first.

I felt bad about going off topic, so these guys seemed to be the closest I could find but it doesn't seem to have been updated since 2008...

Edited by JD™

• 2 weeks later...