Do You Believe In Talent?

clerictgm

Of course theres natural talent. Its made up through a number of factors, being physically able to do it, the dedication to do it and enjoyment. The most important factor is the mental ability to work out how a move is performed, and knowing what to do to do it in practice.

Its matty turner all over again. He was shown a move to try, and mentally, he knew what he had to do to successfully pull it off himself, and translated that mental know how into practice.

This mental knowledge translates into riding ability. Added with the balls to go big and push yourself, and then having the style to do so smoothly. All a combination of factors, and someone who can combine all these in a short space of time, is what Id call talented.

I'd say talent exists. Example in point, I've had my bike for over a year and have tried manualing many times and just can't get it, my mate picks up my bike after never riding it before and never really riding many bikes before and starts getting a manual right away. Now he couldn't hold it for too long but with practice he'd be perfect. Point is it takes talent to be able to just pick something like that up right away.

Dan Chandler should 100% quit his job and ride 24/7

I wish, could easily quit work and get paid to ride. think everybody could :)

on the above point, I have no natural talent, but I went out today determined to learn how to gap, and I pulled it off, gaping to about a metre and a foot or so down. it's moved my riding on loads, discovered my love for riding again. make of that what you will

Edited by bing
  • Like 1

There's definately natural talent in the sense that damon is strong. einstien is clever, Usain bolt was born with the ability to run fast.

saying someone was born to ride trials or has true natural talent at trials, is wrong in my opinion, maybe somebody is naturally good at balance or timing, learning, strength. etc.

if most of the riders on the forum were brought into and possibly even slightly pushed into the sport at a younger age then rode 8 years there would be a fair few at carthy's level.

If you're stature etc. is very bad for sport, making you not very good at sport, of course you're not going to be a world class rider.

I think most have the ability to be world class but they're not determined enough, not willing to work hard enough, haven't got the passion and most of all don't believe it is possible.

It's all in the mind.

I think most have the ability to be world class but they're not determined enough, not willing to work hard enough, haven't got the passion and most of all don't believe it is possible.

It's all in the mind.

That's it.

If you want something, you can have it. But you have to be ready to fight.

Edited by Maxx

If, by "talent", you mean something internal and intangible, absolutely not.

If, by "talent", you mean the sum of numerous attributes combining in such a way to result in extremely high-level riding, then yes.

People enjoy doing what they're good at.

With riding - if someone starts out and is physically fit and strong, and has reasonably good balance, an a head for physics (all gained from previous activities in life), they might pick it up reasonably easily. If they start getting good quickly, they'll ride a lot as they're enjoying the progression. If they live in a place with poor riding, that progression will plateau and possibly even cease altogether. If there's lots to ride around there, it can continue.

If their parents don't like them doing dangerous things, they may discourage it, or refuse to take them to comps. If they encourage the activity, it'll blossom even more... See where I'm going?

No-one's ever gonna fall out the womb, land on a pair of Onza Nano-Master pedals and be great at riding.

Getting incredibly good is simply a combination of elements (characteristics, attributes, environment etc.) that coincidentally work together very effectively for trials riding. No-one was meant to ride. No-one was destined to be a champion. It's all down to the individual.

Some of these elements might be impossible to obtain for other people, and so they will never be able to progress as far, but it's the experiences of the individual's life that make him good at riding - not the individual himself.

I guess your answer is ultimately subjective to your religious beliefs.

Edited by aener
  • Like 4

Genes have nothing to do with riding in general. If you are programmed genetically to be strong and quick and fast, then that skill set is applicable to anything, not just trials. Jack Carthy could be an unreal rugby player, having never even heard of trials. And even if you do win the genetic jackpot, you can still f**k it up, by not being dedicated. So, if I believe I can be amazing, and I train and ride like none other, then I could become champion. Gilles Coustellier has a good family background of trials, started young and progressed due to dedication and a passion for trials, that's what makes him so excellent.

since primary school i've always been the "smart kid in class" i hate studying, so i don't do it before exams, and i still get good grades, from school till i graduated from college (i had to learn how to study in college though =P)

i'ld compare to my classmates that would study a lot and still do bad in their exams... so there's gotta be something there

also my younger brother started riding about 6 months after i started, ever since he only rides with me, so we ride the same ammount of time, and in about 1 year he went over my level of riding, and he's much much better than me now (we ride the exact same ammount of time and he doesn't even watch tutorial videos or reads trashzen (i do a LOT))

even though i don't wanna believe it, and i wanna believe in hard work... facts show the opposite

Edited by valk
  • Like 1