Handing In Notice/ettiquette ..

Boumsong

Right, currently work for a small family owned business (20 - 25 guys). Looking at leaving to move to a much larger firm, not a competitor, within the next 2 - 3 weeks.

My problem is that I'm currently the only person who does what I do at the current firm and if they have any downtime in my department it could cost them quite a lot of money..I also have an apprentice to consider.

I can't decide on when or how to let my manager know what I'm planning...Do I wait until I get an offer from the new firm and then hand my notice in? Or shall I have a quiet chat before hand and let them know that I might be leaving in the near future..

Opinions..

Definitely let them know, and sooner rather than later - ultimately if you do it right you should still have a job if it goes tits up with the other place, but if it goes well you've given them as much chance to get something in place as possible.

Business is business not personal. Wait till you have a firm offer from the larger firm, work your 4 weeks notice and leave respectfully. If you tell them you may be leaving and then it falls through they will be left questioning your commitment and dedication etc. etc. etc.

To let them know organise a meeting with your manager which doesn't coincide with anything else in his day, let him know the score personally and write a small paragraph as to why you are resigning as a formal resignation. If you really are invaluable to the team you may find that they may prepared to offer you a better deal which you could negotiate.

• Like 1

So what if you were on long term sick? What would they do then?

Fortunately this hasn't happened yet, touch wood it never will. I imagine they'd struggle though. Its one problem with small firms I guess.

Mixed opinions, I'm leaning towards an informal chat with a manager on the shop floor over a brew one morning...

I only would if I could afford to lose my job. Look at it this way, your forewarning him that you need to be reaplced... hence they will find a replacement - will a small firm keep both of you on if your other job doesn't come through?

If you really do care about the company the best thing you could do is get a delayed start on your next job for say 2 months so you can work a longer notice period. The big firm may appreciate your loyalty and hope that you would show them the same courtesy were you ever to leave them. Or you may just piss of your new employer before you even start with them. But its something you could mention in interveiw so they are aware before they make you an offer.

Half the issue is that I'm quite happy where I am. I didn't look into leaving, this new firm just rang up out of the blue, invited me in for a look around this afternoon. I did say I would need 2 - 4 weeks but I think your right on maybe extending that a bit.

That is one of the options I want to leave available, if it doesn't work out at the new firm I want to be able to go back. Very important to leave in good order and on good terms, hence the dilemma.

I would definitely let them know ASAP if you like the firm, so to give them as much time to recruit someone else. I think the best way to do that is with a quite word with the manager on the side, explain why your leaving and you just want to give as much notice as possible, and you'll formally resign closer to the time. That way there should be no bad blood and if things go tits up with the other place, you may still keep your job. If your not so keen on the firm and arent so worried about them, then wait until you have a job offer, but by the sounds of things you don't want to screw them over?

I would never tell them unless you get offered a new job. Agree a start date 4-6 weeks in the future, then that should be ample time for them to find a replacement for you and hopefully for you to train them.

Doesn't matter if he's your best mate, I wouldn't report anything unless you have something to report. It's just standard practice.

dont say a thing until you have a firm, written offer from new place. If you try and be nice and let the current company know you 'might' leave they may well seem to be fine but prob look for someone else and/or start getting the hump with you. Ie-being petty. Especially as its family owned. They can get quite personal and caring of it (understandable)

When your new offer is in (and before you accept the offer - that is, if you think your current employer may sweeten your pay or give some benefits if they know you may leave) tell current employer immediately, along with the usual "apologetic, it hasnt been easy, thank you's etc" work your full notice and then no one can be a bitch about it as its all done above board and 'properly'

Business is business not personal. Wait till you have a firm offer from the larger firm, work your 4 weeks notice and leave respectfully. If you tell them you may be leaving and then it falls through they will be left questioning your commitment and dedication etc. etc. etc.

I agree with this. Letting them know you may or may no be leaving but everyone in a awkward position, especially if there's some kind of misunderstanding about your informal chat or you didn't quite get your point across. 4 weeks is a good length of time to find someone else and get them trained in, if they felt they needed longer they would have made it more weeks in your contract.

But I have to add, if you're in such a valuable member, maybe ask for a raise.

I'm with arw_86 on this one, wait to get the offer, then speak to them before accepting the offer. Explain that it's absolutely nothing against them, and that you just can't afford to turn down the advantages of the new job, and they may well match it, and if they can't, then they should at least be understanding of your situation. That way you've given them a chance to keep you, you've just pointed out that there's a cost to do so, saying "I've been offered another job with better conditions, and I can't really afford to turn it down" then allowing them their input is (in my opinion) a hell of a lot nicer than "I've taken another job, here's my notice" (Assuming you'd actually want to keep the job if they matched the conditions of the new one? It sounds like you would?).

Edited by RobinJI

As it stands..For the company I currently work for and for this particular type of industry I'd say I was easily in the top 20% in terms of pay, so pretty good. Conditions aren't bad either. However, the new firm have informally said that the money is better, we're talking £3 - £4 an hour better to start with and it also includes potentially international travel, all expenses 2 week international holiday a year + 4 weeks off as normal. It is a step up and a massive step forward, definately a career maker.

We're just about to have a contract renewed with a client at work as well based on the quality of work I delivered on the last contract (everybody did well, just my section (before I started) used to be sub-contracted, its now done in house etc) so I don't want to jeopordise that contracts success by leaving my current employer in the lurch..Never thought there would be so much to consider when it came to changing jobs.

I'll go with, wait until I get a concrete offer then talk to my current firm. See how negotiations go.

I worked for a very small firm, only 2 employees including myself. I wrote a brief letter of notice and spoke to the old boy that owned the shop. I moved on with no hard feelings, and he knew I wanted to leave for personal reasons which had nothing to do with the shop.

As it's a small/medium sized family business, they're appreciate you discussing it with them first.

Wait until you have a firm offer from the new company before discussing with your current manager.

From what you have said, if you do get an offer from the larger company you would be stupid to turn it down. Plus it sounds like you have already decided that if you get an offer you will take it.

When writing your notice letter just use the templates on http://www.i-resign.com/ :P