Magura Hs33 2011

chris H

New tpa system is great, I've had 2 sets on seperate bikes and out of the box they work brilliantly though the levers felt a bit flexy.

I did however have the 4 finger versions when the 2 finger ones are supposed to be as powerful as a 2005 with a 4 finger lever (I think).

I've just bought a 05 to go on my new mod build and to be honest I think I prefer them.

All of mine have leaked eventually. Longest lasted 4 months

I would love to use them if they lasted.

They have more power compared with older

Maguras

I have gone back to 05 now

Exactly the same. And every time I inspect the master cylinder after a leak : it's damaged (sort of scratches) !

I think it's the piston itself that does this, I don't see any other explanation (plastic rubbing against plastic wich cause this)

Exactly the same. And every time I inspect the master cylinder after a leak : it's damaged (sort of scratches) !

I think it's the piston itself that does this, I don't see any other explanation (plastic rubbing against plastic wich cause this)

I think it's just the force us trials riders pull the lever with flexing the whole body in to an arch shape then rubbing on the piston.

Only thing I can think of is more clearance on the piston. Or an extra o ring on the end of the piston to stop plastic on plastic abrasion

I think it's just the force us trials riders pull the lever with flexing the whole body in to an arch shape then rubbing on the piston.

Only thing I can think of is more clearance on the piston. Or an extra o ring on the end of the piston to stop plastic on plastic abrasion

It wouldnt flex the cylinder itself though. It would flex around the narrower area that extends from the bar clamp to the rest of the body itself.

The piston and cylinder remain in situ and inline.

Out of interest how many of the new maguras have you got that don't leak ?

Not just only mine, but 4. Heard loads of other riders that I know in personal say they're the best to.

Like your spelling?

Well thank's, I would gladly see you write in Swedish, when you're Iphone auto corrects to English words and you're tired as f*ck. Good luck!

• Like 1

I must admit I had a set from when they first came out and ran them on the original bleed for a year with no problems regarding leaks, though at the same time I did speak to a few people who had suffered and said I did very well lasting that long.

Depends on how you treat them. Some crash alot etc which may cause some leaks. I don't know why... But everyone I know who have them (including me) have had no problems with them on the original bleed, they just don't seem to 'like' waterbleeds. And I've compared them pretty hard to my mates setup, which where exactly the same and mine's better in every way. It feels a tad spongier but that's because of frame flex.

The master cylinder on 2011 hs33/11 doesn't flex alot itself (just a very little).

Brake very hard, and watch the master cylinder movement : relative to the lever it barely moves (if you tightened the clamp bolts correctly). Now look at how the frame flexes ! (even if it's stiff).

So yes the master cylinder may move a little bit more than 2005 hs33, BUT it's not the source of a lot of flexing. It's mainly the power which cause "spongy" lever (frame flex more important than master cylinder flex and by far).

And at equal braking force (on the rim) : with a longer lever blade you need less force than a shorter lever blade, but even considering this, the longer lever will provide more "flex".

I have had 5 new hs33 (2011) which were leaked (2 front, 3 rear), and as I said every time it leaks, it is at the master cylinder where there are scratches inside (I think two o-rings must be a good idea). The longest time a brake lasted me is 5 months (for the 2011 hs33, not 2005), but of course it depends how you ride, how often, your level, places also maybe, .......

Ps: sorry english is not my native language

• Like 1