Rockman Frames

Kieran Morrison

I've been thinking recently about buying a rockman mod frame, but I searched the forum for information and most people were saying the quality of the frames are bad and they're not for bashers.

I'm wondering if, since then, quality of the rockman frames (specifically manus' and aurems) has improved?

Also, what would you class as a basher?

I've never cracked, snapped or even dented a frame before, But I have destroyed the chainstays on my ice with scratches from failed sidehops (I don't scratch them as much now, just used to hit them really hard when I failed, I would be using a hose on the chainstay and carbon protector on the down tube.) but apart from that my frame is in decent condition.

Also it says on tarty 'this is a serious competition frame' for the manus 2 but not for the aurem 4. Why? Is the aurem stronger?

If youve seen my riding, do you thnk i could get away with riding one and not killing it in a few months?I'd probably change frames again a year later so I'm not expecting it to last me years.

Thanks for any help :)

I've just got myself a bjorn, I wouldn't class myself as a hard basher... I do bash, but only accidentally, such as hitting the chainstays after a failed sidehop, downtube after a failed pedal-up, etc. I only really use the bashring to rest on an obstacle.

I also got told they don't last very long, so I'm planning on taking the bash plate off, and probably grinding or filing the bash mounts down (luckily the bjorn doesn't have a bb mount, just a downtube one). And possibly putting a carbon protector on the downtube, so I guess I'm in the same boat as you. :)

• Like 1

I've just got myself a bjorn, I wouldn't class myself as a hard basher... I do bash, but only accidentally, such as hitting the chainstays after a failed sidehop, downtube after a failed pedal-up, etc. I only really use the bashring to rest on an obstacle.

I also got told they don't last very long, so I'm planning on taking the bash plate off, and probably grinding or filing the bash mounts down (luckily the bjorn doesn't have a bb mount, just a downtube one). And possibly putting a carbon protector on the downtube, so I guess I'm in the same boat as you. :)

The Bjorn Frame cracks in the headtube, on the corners of the cut out. So watch after it there.

• Like 1

Yeah that sounds the same as me.

Was it brand new?

Heard so much bad and good stuff about rockman, nothing in between.

They're ok.

There you go :P

Nahhh, I love how they sit on the back wheel, so so comfy! I'm removing the bash plate and mounts asap though. I think you'll get on with it fine Kezza, you seem to be much more smoother lately.

• Like 1

It all depends on the frame you go for,

as said above usually the bjorn only last a few months and cracks on the chainstay, and for stock the kortz frames tend to go a lot quicker than the others,

but the akali/austin mods are much more durable and will last for a fair time if treated well or of you want a stock go for the newer slates.

(Josh Leech is selling a very good condition akali at the moment if your interested)

Nahhh, I love how they sit on the back wheel, so so comfy! I'm removing the bash plate and mounts asap though. I think you'll get on with it fine Kezza, you seem to be much more smoother lately.

Kezza? :|

Cool, think I'll go for it and get one (providing I don't change my mind again to go 24... :P )

It all depends on the frame you go for,

as said above usually the bjorn only last a few months and cracks on the chainstay, and for stock the kortz frames tend to go a lot quicker than the others

But surely if it cracks within a few months you've got warranty to back you up? Unless it was your fault by denting it etc

What month do new rockmans usually come out? I figure if it's January/February then I might aswell wait for them since ill be buying around Christmas :)

Kezza? :|

Cool, think I'll go for it and get one (providing I don't change my mind again to go 24... :P )

But surely if it cracks within a few months you've got warranty to back you up? Unless it was your fault by denting it etc

What month do new rockmans usually come out? I figure if it's January/February then I might aswell wait for them since ill be buying around Christmas :)

I dont think they have a certain time, just when they are developed and fully tested

And you would hope that with the warranty, but sometimes they come up with silly excuses on why that its not fit for cover and its not usually down to you

Bjorns crack at the 'stays and the headtube? f**k

Am I gonna have to use excessive amounts of chainstay protection and downtube protection? I don't do hooks so my headtube should be fine...

Its nothing to do with protection i dont think, just poor design of the dropouts/chainstay

I dont think they have a certain time, just when they are developed and fully tested

And you would hope that with the warranty, but sometimes they come up with silly excuses on why that its not fit for cover and its not usually down to you

So if it cracks down to poor design, and they say it's not fit for cover, do you get a discount of another frame or something?

Surely with a £560 frame it'd be well developed and tested with good design... :/

You really would hope so, I think they were discontinued for that reason and they begun to develop a new one, whether that came pt or not i don't know

So if it cracks down to poor design, and they say it's not fit for cover, do you get a discount of another frame or something?

I couldn't tell you, i dont have anything to do with rockman personally, but they haven't been to great with warranty claims in the past i believe.

Its just something company's tend to do, come up with ridiculous excuses as to why you aren't viable for warranty

The only company i know of that does discount replacement is Onza

Your best bet with rockman is just to go for one of the stronger frames they make, and you are much less likely to have a problem, some of their stuff is real good quality

You really would hope so, I think they were discontinued for that reason and they begun to develop a new one, whether that came pt or not i don't know

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/20_inch_frames/rockman_bjorn_inc_bashplate_rubber/c36p11348.html

They came out in 2010, and are still selling them now. Sounds like quite a successful frame in that respect?

http://www.tartybike.../c36p11348.html

They came out in 2010, and are still selling them now. Sounds like quite a successful frame in that respect?

That or they sold poorly and are looking to clear the stock,

i would love to try one as they look sweet and ride ride well too, but from what i heard from Bigman they have that one design fault

You never know though, yours may last longer than others but there is only one way to find that out :P

• Like 1