Negatively Marked Multi-Choice Exam Advice

o0jack0o

Hello all,

So i'm in my first semester at university and I have a negatively marked multiple choice module test coming up and just wanted some advice on approaching this!

Here's how it works for my test

4 options per question

Correct answer = 1 mark

Incorrect answer = -1/3 mark

So my thinking is if I don't have a clue on an answer I may as well just guess. This is based on some simple fractions.

Say I guess on 4 questions, there is a 1/4 chance that i get each one right which would result in the following marks.

1 correct = +1 mark

3 incorrect = -1/3 + -1/3 + -1/3 = -1 mark

Overall = 1-1 = 0

But, I also just thought, if I stand to gain no marks on average is there any point in guessing when i have no clue?

Would it be better not to guess at all and if I have to guess only do it when i can narrow down the odds to say 1/3 or 1/2 so I have more to gain.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated - if you have experience with these especially so!

Thanks Jack

Well, I've never done a negatively marked MCQ (multiple choice questionnaire) but I'd leave all the ones you are not sure about to the end.

Focus on the ones you definitely know first. As for the guessing part, unless you have to answer ALL questions (which is typical of an MCQ) then it might be best to not guess and just leave it blank if you are allowed to, that way you won't lose marks.

You should also revise, that's pretty key to exams haha.

As for guessing, there's an intelligent way to guess which basically involves finding the wrong answers. I.e instead of looking for the right answer (which as you said, is a 25% chance to guess correctly) you should look for the wrong answers. This way is usually quicker and more effective.

If you have 4 questions, and you have no idea on all 4, and you guess on all 4, chances are you're going to get 1 right and the other 3 wrong. That's 1 point for getting one right, and 1 point taken away for getting three wrong.

So it doesn't matter statistically whether you guess or don't guess. However, if you can eliminate one of the wrong answers, or think you know the right answer (even by a tiny margin), you're better off going with it as worst case scenario probability wise, you're no better off.