Topping up my Magura, Problem?

dannytrialskid

I was watching Liam Norwood's tutorial on his website about topping up your magura brake.

I trust tried it, with the tpa all the way out and the lever body facing upwards.

There is slack on the lever so it basically flops a little, so being as there is no pressure on the 'slack' part which means when i let the lever out the oil doesn't go back in enough. So when i do up the screw the oil is topped up but not enough to remove the slack on the lever?

but I took the screw back out and I could still top it up even more. So do i just need to keep topping it up? I done it about 5 or 6 times and i keeps going, but there is still slack on the lever.

not sure if this is making any sense.

How do i remove the slack on the lever without having to do a re-bleed?

what i did was undo the grub screw, blow the piston out, and at the slave cylinder, put a syringe on with a barbed fitting and just push and pull water through the system, them put the piston and spring back in, and then just bath bleed it normally. revolver did a bath bleed tutorial somewhere on the forum

what i did was undo the grub screw, blow the piston out, and at the slave cylinder, put a syringe on with a barbed fitting and just push and pull water through the system, them put the piston and spring back in, and then just bath bleed it normally. revolver did a bath bleed tutorial somewhere on the forum

I use oil. Last time I used water it completely f**ked up my brake.

yeah,from using water,sand it down

These brakes haven't had water in them.

I got new ones, only ever had Magura Royal Blood oil in them.

I'll try rebleeding it and see what happens.

Also, on my rear maggy when I pull the lever in all the way I think the piston sticks, because the slaves stay out and the lever just flops. I have to push the slaves back in with my hand to push the piston back out, so I'm guessing that's a sticky piston? - once again only had magura oil in them. How do I stop it from sticking? Would a re bleed on the rear help with that?

i've had a sticky lever from the tpa being screwed all the way in, just undoing and a bleed sorted that.

are you using a seringue without a plunger in it? with oil being thicker than water it maybe 'trapping' air, have you tried forcing the fluid in? (with the topping up method) or pulling the lever while putting pressure on the plunger part of the seringue (not loads)?

Edited by trials hoe

I seriously f**king hate brakes!

Everytime I bleed them they just get f**king worse.

Give up!!!!

Turns out my brakes were bled with water, somehow. Don't know how.

So I bled them with the magura oil and the levers still have shit loads of slack, and when i say loads i mean the tpa is almost fully turned.

when i pull the rear in the piston gets stuck and have to press on the pads for it to pop back out.

Now they are shit. So... wont be riding till I get someone to sort them for me caus if I carry on I will probably throw them in the bin.

Edited by dannytrialskid

Give up!!!!

Turns out my brakes were bled with water, somehow. Don't know how.

So I bled them with the magura oil and the levers still have shit loads of slack, and when i say loads i mean the tpa is almost fully turned.

when i pull the rear in the piston gets stuck and have to press on the pads for it to pop back out.

Now they are shit. So... wont be riding till I get someone to sort them for me caus if I carry on I will probably throw them in the bin.

Ask Greg to have a look? He did work in a bike shop after all

Give up!!!

don't be so defeatist dude!. brakes can be a twat to bleed, just have a minute and a brew and start again from scratch.

if you've been topping up a water bled brake with mineral oil this could be the reason it feels shitty. you'll have to perfect your own way to bleed a brake at some point :)

don't be so defeatist dude!. brakes can be a twat to bleed, just have a minute and a brew and start again from scratch.

if you've been topping up a water bled brake with mineral oil this could be the reason it feels shitty. you'll have to perfect your own way to bleed a brake at some point :)

I'm following the same steps as the magura video.

The piston is sticking, that's what im guessing because the pads are staying out and i have to push them back in for the lever to actually have pressure.

the other brake is just slack as f**k same as both.

UNLESS, someone can tell me what im doing wrong. i just bought a brand new pot of magura oil aswell! feels like a waste of money right now.

thing is, my brakes had clear fluid in them, so im guessing it was water. but they never froze when it was all icey outside as where as my friends that was bled with water did freeze.

also someone mentioned that it could be an airlock, how would i get rid of that?

Edited by dannytrialskid

you can tell the difference between water and oil, if you dab a bit on your finger and rub it between your fingers you will know. wasn't phat fluid clear?

how are you bleeding? sometimes its a better idea to start over if its giving you grief. are you bleeding from the lowest point up when you start bleeding? air will always want to rise and tilting the bike to 'help' the air out is always beneficial.

Edited by trials hoe

you can tell the difference between water and oil, if you dab a bit on your finger and rub it between your fingers you will know. wasn't phat fluid clear?

how are you bleeding? sometimes its a better idea to start over if its giving you grief. are you bleeding from the lowest point up when you start bleeding? air will always want to rise and tilting the bike to 'help' the air out is always beneficial.

Here is what I do.

the bike is standing upright.

I take out the screw from the slave and put my syringe in and tighten it up slightly. (with magura oil)

the tpa is all the way out and the lever body is facing down slightly.

i then take out the bleed screw and have a cup ready to catch the fluid.

i press on the syringe and out comes the oil through the bleed hole.

i then put the bleed screw back in.

i then loosen the syringe and take it out and put the screw back into the slave.

the brake still feels crap, loads of slack. for the rear the piston is still stuck and an extremely slack lever.

the lever body is facing down slightly.

this could be your issue the tiniest amount of air will make a brake feel shite, you'll need the bleed port bit (where the fluid comes out) at the highest point. tilt your bike and loosen the lever clamp and rotate the lever.

when putting the bleed bolt back in the lever i tend to screw it in slightly and force a bit bit of fluid through, so it can seep past the threads of the bolt. holding pressure on the syringe while i nip it up too, if it bubbles when you're doing this then there is still air in the system.

Edited by trials hoe

this could be your issue, you'll need the bleed port bit (where the fluid comes out) at the highest point. tilt your bike and loosen the lever clamp and rotate the lever.

when putting the bleed bolt back in the lever i tend to screw it in slightly and force a bit bit of fluid through, so it can seep past the threads of the bolt. holding pressure on the syringe while i nip it up too, if it bubbles when you're doing this then there is still air in the system.

So I need to face the bleed hole up instead of down?