Rainproofing

HippY

I think in this country rainproofing is a very important thing, it is wet all the time here, in Ireland.

If you have any advice how someone should waterproof their bike with some tricks or some parts, please tell us in this thread!

Thank you

Valentine

"It stops corrosion, helps keep the bike clean, helps reduce seazed pistons and seazing gear parts" Pretty much everything on most trials bikes now adays are made from either alu or ti so corrosion isnt really a problem, as said above i just wipe my bike down after a wet ride

Edited by alex-trials-boy

Alloy still corrodes next time you see someone riding an alloy road bike check the bottle mounts and around the bb at the back. The paint flakes and the alloy corrodes

And rubber corrodes so you brake seals corrode and bearing seals are corroding

Alloy still corrodes next time you see someone riding an alloy road bike check the bottle mounts and around the bb at the back. The paint flakes and the alloy corrodes

And rubber corrodes so you brake seals corrode and bearing seals are corroding not saying you need to clean and oil it after every ride but now and again wouldn't hurt

• Like 1

just buy good parts, good moving parts come with sealed bearings some even have dustcaps on them to keep that extra shit out. as for slipping on pedals, get some riding specific shoes and decent pedals, will hurt more when you do shin yourself but should happen much less often. as for aluminium corrosion, who gives a shit, we all go out and give our bikes a battering, we use aluminium because it is light, cheap, stiff and corrosion resistant. having owned steel and aluminium parts and frames, i can tell you aluminium corrosion is the least of your worries.

Edited by Ash-Kennard
  • Like 1

Clean it regularly, and every 5-10 rides GT85 spray the moving points. As someone has stated removing the wheels or covering the rim to prevent oil drips and avoid getting it on pads. This is what iv done for all my bikes never had problem with corrosion and I used to ride seafront alot, salt is a bitch. ( If you have any sealed bearings don't blast GT85 into them you will force grit in and increases wear instead spray around them and let the fluid flow over)

Avoid open bearings. As said, a good headset, hubs, pedals and BB will run smooth for ages.

Shouldnt have to worry about brakes too much. I tend to find if Im riding in the rain and my slave cylinders have been lubed with oil it washes off.
Countered that by using a lithium grease as its water resistant, which I also use in all my hubs bearings, pedals, headset and freewheel bearing races.

Gt85 I use to disolve thick clogged up oil mixed with dirt on gears before cleaning the setup.

Realy gears should never get so bad you need to clean them with 60% paint thinners, 30% perfume, 10% ptfe. This is close to what is on gt85 and most other penetrative oils.

If your going to use something to protect and keep your bike shiny, free of corrosion and stop dirt sticking. Use a silicon based spray.

Paint thinners sets out rubber seals and dissolves grease. That's why you don't spray the bearings.

You can spray silicon all over so long as the wheels and pads are taken off the bike.

Mx bikes have used silicon spray for years now.

Gt85 I use to disolve thick clogged up oil mixed with dirt on gears before cleaning the setup.

Realy gears should never get so bad you need to clean them with 60% paint thinners, 30% perfume, 10% ptfe. This is close to what is on gt85 and most other penetrative oils.

If your going to use something to protect and keep your bike shiny, free of corrosion and stop dirt sticking. Use a silicon based spray.

Paint thinners sets out rubber seals and dissolves grease. That's why you don't spray the bearings.

You can spray silicon all over so long as the wheels and pads are taken off the bike.

Mx bikes have used silicon spray for years now.

Why perfume?

Avoid open bearings. As said, a good headset, hubs, pedals and BB will run smooth for ages.

Shouldnt have to worry about brakes too much. I tend to find if Im riding in the rain and my slave cylinders have been lubed with oil it washes off.

Countered that by using a lithium grease as its water resistant, which I also use in all my hubs bearings, pedals, headset and freewheel bearing races.

Shimano XTR open bearing hubs run smooth as f**k, you just have to service them more, but they still can be super smooth.

I use GT85 as its PTFE not cus of the perfume but its up to you what brand/ type you chooses i was more pointing out my regime. As for gt 85 eating rubber i used it on the same set of forks for the entire 4 years i had them and the rubber seals on that are as they were the day i got them, its solvent so the majority of it is evaporated very quickly if your finding its eating your seals you should use less