Will this ruin my chance of claiming a new frame through warranty?

SamKidney

Hi guys and girls.

I bought an Echo 24" frame roughly 4 months ago, and noticed on monday that the frame has cracked at the headtube, both around the weld where the downtube/gusset meets the headtube, and the two ends of the gusset on the downtube.

However, the frame has a gouge in its seatstay, caused by chain rub, which is worse than I had anticipated, and has actually started to go through the tubing.
Now, thats my fault for using the wrong sprocket for my set up, and should it have snapped there I would have accepted it was down to my own error, and not that of Echos.

However, as it hasn't, and that I could have prolonged the life of the frame from this point with a different sprocket, but it has cracked at the headtube instead, making it unsafe to ride, do I have to worry about getting it replaced? Bearing in mind that if I had used the right sprocket in the first place, it may well have still cracked in the same place.

Do I still stand a chance of a successful warranty claim?
Or have I buggered it for myself? :(

Hi guys and girls.

I bought an Echo 24" frame roughly 4 months ago, and noticed on monday that the frame has cracked at the headtube, both around the weld where the downtube/gusset meets the headtube, and the two ends of the gusset on the downtube.

However, the frame has a gouge in its seatstay, caused by chain rub, which is worse than I had anticipated, and has actually started to go through the tubing.

Now, thats my fault for using the wrong sprocket for my set up, and should it have snapped there I would have accepted it was down to my own error, and not that of Echos.

However, as it hasn't, and that I could have prolonged the life of the frame from this point with a different sprocket, but it has cracked at the headtube instead, making it unsafe to ride, do I have to worry about getting it replaced? Bearing in mind that if I had used the right sprocket in the first place, it may well have still cracked in the same place.

Do I still stand a chance of a successful warranty claim?

Or have I buggered it for myself? :(

For something like this you are best of contacting them whether its by phone or e-mail i am sure they will quite happily be able to answer all your concerns about warranty etc.

For the ratio thing this may help:

- Recommended for 18:14 gear ratio and front freewheel only.

Its stated in tartys return form that uploading images to social/internet sites could alter the chances of a successful claim...

For something like this you are best of contacting them whether its by phone or e-mail i am sure they will quite happily be able to answer all your concerns about warranty etc.

For the ratio thing this may help:

- Recommended for 18:14 gear ratio and front freewheel only.

Its not so much the ratio, its the sprocket I used. I used a 14t try-all sprocket, with the teeth on the outer edge.
I should have turned it round or used a sprocket with central teeth.

the claim would be for the crack, i could understand them saying no if you wanted a new frame because of the chain rub. at 4 months old it could be down to a manufacturing defect which should be covered by warranty, if you're refused because of the chain rub that's a pretty anal reason.

interested in pics too (Y)

If you did order from Tarty just get in touch with them!

I'm sure they'll do their upmost to sort you out - but at the end of the day it is up to Echo.

...I'm guessing the addition of "uploading images to social/internet sites could alter the chances of a successful claim" is to do with some recent threads where morons have had a good moan...so don't post photos!

Edited by AndrewEH1

Hey man.

It might decrease the value of the thing you get back in return.

Look at my because color 20" frame. The frame was quite scratched, especially on the downtube, not a single dent or crack etc though.

I had a disc brake on for like 1,5 month and the disc tab cracked. Because of the scratches on the downtube I got 50% of the frame prize on the because frame too spend at tarty. Like if the frame costed ÂŁ100, I got ÂŁ50 back (example)

I'm happy enough though, good luck with your warranty claim:)

Hey man.

It might decrease the value of the thing you get back in return.

Look at my because color 20" frame. The frame was quite scratched, especially on the downtube, not a single dent or crack etc though.

I had a disc brake on for like 1,5 month and the disc tab cracked. Because of the scratches on the downtube I got 50% of the frame prize on the because frame too spend at tarty. Like if the frame costed ÂŁ100, I got ÂŁ50 back (example)

I'm happy enough though, good luck with your warranty claim:)

Really?

Ignoring the gouge, through riding it normaly and it cracking in under 6 months, well under, due to the normal scuffs and scrapes its bound to gain I lose a possible 50% of the value on the items price? Thats silly. Thats like saying, yeah I'll replace it, but because your now useless frame is scratched, we're gonna take 50% for ourselves and you can have half its value towards another frame completely defeating the point of having warranty on the frame in the first place.

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but its Echo thats at fault. The gouge was my fault, but the fact its cracked as quick as it has isn't. 4 months of pretty light riding, compared to other examples that are still going that have had riding time over triple that of mine.

I suppose in your case though thats because the frame wasnt 100% unrideable/unsafe? You just had to alter your brake to a magura, providing it had the mounts to do so.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Really?

Ignoring the gouge, through riding it normaly and it cracking in under 6 months, well under, due to the normal scuffs and scrapes its bound to gain I lose a possible 50% of the value on the items price? Thats silly. Thats like saying, yeah I'll replace it, but because your now useless frame is scratched, we're gonna take 50% for ourselves and you can have half its value towards another frame completely defeating the point of having warranty on the frame in the first place.

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but its Echo thats at fault. The gouge was my fault, but the fact its cracked as quick as it has isn't. 4 months of pretty light riding, compared to other examples that are still going that have had riding time over triple that of mine.

I suppose in your case though thats because the frame wasnt 100% unrideable/unsafe? You just had to alter your brake to a magura, providing it had the mounts to do so.

Yes..

Agreed! The thing they said was that since the frame was scratched,it sort of gave a indication on how the frame where treated. Even though a downtube differ from a un-used brake mount ;)

I totally agree with you, it's deffo echos fault! I mean of course you where the person that broke it, but it should still be in one piece.

And yes sort of, it was ride-able with a magura.

Good luck anyway!

some friends of mine cracked there echos and spoke to tarty, they would not replace the frame but would take money off another one, they ended up buying 2 limeys for less of the price because of the discount taken off for the compensation of there snapped frames, they also had to cut there echos up into pieces and send pictures to tarty to show they couldn't be used anymore

After reading Williams and customrider-rhys's posts. That just seems crazy! I mean most of us work hard to buy our trials bits even it involves a bit of saving etc. But id be pretty annoyed having to do a claim to find my frame has lost a percentage of value just because it is being used for trials where it is bound to scratched/dented from doing the day to day stuff. Would be even worse if it was something expensive like a ÂŁ700 koxx frame.

Lets all start wrapping our bikes in bubble wrap :P.

EDIT: If anything i feel sorry for any parent/guardian who has bought a young un a nice new frame for it to go wrong under 6 months to then find out all that.

Edited by Andeee
  • Like 2

Right.

Thats all well and good having money taken off the price of a frame if you have the money to make up the rest.. but I dont. Neither do many other people my age in my position.

The fact they use marks on a frame as an indication of how the frame has been used is a poor one. We're not all super smooth riders that make everything we try 100% of the time.
If we did, the sport would be boring with no sense of satisfaction.

My frame has its fair share or scratches and scuffs, but that by no means indicates I throw it into walls with no regard to its value/ long livety.

Right.

Thats all well and good having money taken off the price of a frame if you have the money to make up the rest.. but I dont. Neither do many other people my age in my position.

The fact they use marks on a frame as an indication of how the frame has been used is a poor one.

I didn't have the money too buy a new one either. Like almost every teenager, life is poor.

The reason why I'm actually "happy" is because it firstly seemed like I would get like a pair of snail cams or grips back as warranty.. ;)

My dad is a part owner in a bike shop, if a similar thing would happen they would give a new frame plus something as warranty.

maybe the reason tartys won't give full money back may be due to perhaps they are possibly doing so off of their own backs.

i know consumer law is what it is these days but even so not all manufacturers around the globe follow law !

and also why not worst case scenario get things welded up ?

maybe the reason tartys won't give full money back may be due to perhaps they are possibly doing so off of their own backs.

i know consumer law is what it is these days but even so not all manufacturers around the globe follow law !

and also why not worst case scenario get things welded up ?

Im not asking for a refund, Im wanting my frame replaced for a new one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tarty dont loose out. Its Echo. As far as I can make sense of it, the frame is replaced, and to compensate echo send out another frame in their next order for free or make up its value another way, that way tarty dont loose the profit they made on my original purchase of the frame. Or something along those lines.

Because welding alu frames doesn´t work without proper heat treatment.

funny that my bt raven 4 that i snapped at the chainstay yoke that i welded back up is fine.

with no h.t. whatsoever.

also say echo refuse to reimburse tartys stating some rubbish as many manufacturers do blaming the consumer in some way or other, its down to tartys to stump the bill ?

im afraid trials can be brutal to components, frames etc and although you may feel your smooth don't ride hard etc do you know the forces your putting stuff though ? because i can say without a shadow of a doubt all manufacturers know what their products Will hold up to and in this day and age materials are pretty consistent.

Edited by swill