Magura Raceline vs XTR V-Brake

rickbury1985

Hi,

May seem a daft question but is their a noticable differance between maguras and v brakes? I have toyed with the idea of upgrading my brakes for years and only now am I considering it, my bike is made up of old parts which have stood the test of time and have never let me down and for my braking i use the old skool trick of using tar for better grip.

I would have considered disks but my frame and forks dont have the mounting.

Also from maguras to disks how much of a differance to braking are they??

If anybody can advise id be grateful as im about to purchase these maguras tomorrow.

Thanks

I don't use a V anymore but I use a Magura on the back of the 26" and I've used tar for the last 13/14 years.

I'd always go Magura rear, even with cheap pads my brakes have always been vicious with tar, but a V is fine on the front, a V with tar is an on/off switch, no modulation but the bit & hold is ridiculous.

Edited by LEON

I stopped using rear V's when my feet started hitting the calipers (I have big feet) and trousers started getting caught (I don't wear skinny clothing)

They're easily knocked onto the rim which puts the brake on when you don't want it. That's dangerous :ninja:

I stopped using rear V's when my feet started hitting the calipers (I have big feet) and trousers started getting caught (I don't wear skinny clothing)

They're easily knocked onto the rim which puts the brake on when you don't want it. That's dangerous :ninja:

Heh,that never happened to me, but bro keeps bitchin about it. Nothing good booster wouldn´t change though :)

Edited by ghostrider88

other than not have as much hold and is harder to pull ;)

Vee on the rear every time, for trialsy trials anyway.

Anyone who finds pulling a Magura lever hard work should probably be playing chess not riding trials lol.

If you have dedicated v brake mounts I wouldn't even bother with evo2 adapters. The main reason people used the evo2 adapters was because the hs33 had more pad choice at the time

Why? Engineering wise I agree they're not ideal, the booster could look better, but I had evo 2 mounts on my last 26 for about 2 years and they gave me zero problems, much better than the original evo.

Plus they're meant for mountain bikes, not trials bikes with 40 odd mm rims.

Edited by LEON

I've been running a Vee brake on the rear for years . The most important part to powerful Vee brake is in the cables . Poor quality , knackered cables or poor cable routing will cause lots of friction on the cables making the lever feel spongey and lack power .

Only recently using a grind on the rear , but even with cheap soft Vee pads (like the onza's or savage components) the power is great !

Im running Avid ultimate levers and Avid Mag (like an SD7) calliper .

I would invest in some better pad material and some better cable Nokon style is good.

Maguras are less maintenance in the long run over v brake

But if you been happy with v brake for years then you might as well save your money and get new pads and cable

Maguras are less maintenance in the long run over v brake

Not really, number of topics with title:"Something´s wrong with my magura" only proves it. I don´t know if I have seen here topic about vees not working, I´m very positive I haven´t. They are easier to setup or repair if something goes wrong as well. No sticky or swollen pistons, no air in the system, no pad wobble or broken crossovers. So yeah, not really easier to maintain.

Not really, number of topics with title:"Something´s wrong with my magura" only proves it. I don´t know if I have seen here topic about vees not working, I´m very positive I haven´t. They are easier to setup or repair if something goes wrong as well. No sticky or swollen pistons, no air in the system, no pad wobble or broken crossovers. So yeah, not really easier to maintain.

Maguras and hydraulic brakes in general should be lower maintenance as cable stretch and get grotty . But people like to bleed maguras with water so the seals are no longer lubricated and causes issues and shortens the brakes lifespan.

I think If you run a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze you do get some lubrication. Ive been running mine that way for the past few years and havent had any slow pistons or leaks. Up until yesterday that is, but my slave cyclinders are 9 years old this year...

mags are a fair weather thing for me. Its good at the mo,

powerful (HSB yellows sorted that), stiff (t/tech 2 bolt and a fourplay'll do that)

so it's all good.

BUT...

When it plays up it'll do things properly

swollen pistons/leakages/TPA failure/bust main or CO hose etc.

or it breaks like the master cracks again.(its cracked once already and was saved by the cut mod)

The pre-set V will go on and i'll have a look at a later, when i can be arsed, date in time.

the above statement shows how confident i am about mags.

They are not the be all and end all.

EDIT: just noticed in the topic headline that you mean a race line.

Old mag 33's such as this are much better IMO. they suffer little cracked masters like 05 style since they do not share the design and subsequent stress riser,

The pistons seem to like put up with water better. And my mate rob L's front r/line must have outlived 3 or 4 05 style masters in the time he had it, even with that silly RB blade he put on. eww. :sick:

Edited by CC12345678910

gears are very finely tuned though, I'm not saying cabled are impossible to stretch, just you'd never notice it. The compression of the outer would be more than the stretch of the inner.

Exactly , which makes me wonder why compression outer brake cable is even made ?? Linear cables make much more sense .