What way to grind bike rim?

dannytrialskid

Does it matter whether you grind your bike rim to the left or the right?

Pictures to make more sense:

2poxqnm.jpg

j8id83.jpg

Just thinking, because wont a certain way of you grinding have the rough edge facing either left or right? So you would want the sharper edge to be facing the way the wheel moves forward so when you pull the brake the pad is hitting the sharper edge? Don't know if this matters, just want to get the best possible grind.

Edited by dannytrialskid

You want to grind both sides in the same direction, by that I mean both sides clockwise or anti clockwise. This means both sides of the rim are oppositely grinded, therefore you get hold going forwards and backwards (Y)

ah sheet.

i wish you posted this like 15 minutes ago :(

Edited by dannytrialskid

I grind my rim both ways like a wiper blade on a car, I use the sharpest edge of the disc at a 45 degree angle always works for me, if you only do it 1 direction then it'll be useless when the pad try's to grip the rim when it turns the other way?

Yeah I know that now :(

Oh well, just wait till I do my first comp I'm sure it'll get all shitty. Then I'll grind it in opposite directions.

• Like 1

Grind in the directrion your most comfortable with. I drag the grinder to the right/clockwise on both sides of the rim.
Key to an even grind I found, is to turn the grinder to follow the curvature of the rim, at a consistant angle and pressure.

I use a tiny amount of pressure, at a 45* angle and a new stainless steel cutting disc.

My brakes are always working at the level I want them with that method.

Edited by Echo Lite 09