New Fangeld Bar Angles?

Andrew C

It's even happened local to me. Maybe they can sidehop an extra 2.3mm, but they can no longer manual, bunnyhop up a curb, do anything above 4mph, use any kind of kicker.

Not to mention the cool body posture.

Fair trade...

Edited by LEON
  • Like 2

I wasn't going to reply, but I'm a little bored so here's my take on it.

UCI sections have seemingly become entirely man made (there are the odd natural ones though) and they usually follow a routine of getting up an object, then down again, then up another, then down again and so on. They seem to limit riders to one move per object by either having narrow gates or short run ups. this means sidehops and up-to-front are the most popular method of getting up things so rear wheel stability is a higher need rather than say how well the bike rolls or whatever.

Riders have made companies make frames with higher and higher bb's to aid rear wheel control and give a little more ground clearance, this has shortened the reach of the frames so they are now sticking super long stems on them. some people can't find stems long enough so they tilt their bars unusually far forward to give the bike extra reach and make it sit on the rear wheel even easier.

Now, for the act of getting up and over UCI sections, for a couple of people is seems to work really well, I still think a correct stem and normal bar angle will be better, but I'm not sure if such a stem is available (at least for sponsored riders who have to use trials branded stems).

Unfortunately because some a couple of very good riders have done this, lots of other people think they should do the same and it very rarely works as well but they either don't realise it or don't want to think it could actually be worse for them.

I think that it ruins most riders style and you should only consider it if you are top level UCI riding, not just out riding the streets.

• Like 12

Maybe you should try a frame with a higher BB and a bar angle further back.

I don't get people that do it on mods. Theyre pretty twichy and nimble as they are, which I like, but add a silly forward bar angle and they're horrid.
Mate of mine ran his like that, on a mod, and I changed it back while he was in the shop. He had no idea and kept asking why his bike suddenly felt miles nicer for everything.

My +55 Ozonys Curve V1 26" rode nicely for everything with a rockman stock stem and highrise bars, with a nice amount of backsweep.

However I was a fan of Ross' Limey 4 with a slightly rolled forward bar angle.... but I couldn't ride Carthys bike for toffee.

I want my Ozonys back :(

Edited by Echo Lite 09
  • Like 4

Cheers for the replys, I wasen't actually going to roll my bar forwards just wondered why so many people are doing it. My favourite thing about riding is rolling about, bunny hopping and manuals so anything that prevents that is just wrong in my opinion :ermm:

Maybe you should try a frame with a higher BB and a bar angle further back.

I don't get people that do it on mods. Theyre pretty twichy and nimble as they are, which I like, but add a silly forward bar angle and they're horrid.

Mate of mine ran his like that, on a mod, and I changed it back while he was in the shop. He had no idea and kept asking why his bike suddenly felt miles nicer for everything.

My +55 Ozonys Curve V1 26" rode nicely for everything with a rockman stock stem and highrise bars, with a nice amount of backsweep.

However I was a fan of Ross' Limey 4 with a slightly rolled forward bar angle.... but I couldn't ride Carthys bike for toffee.

I rode dave kerr's rockman slate at brimham, with a Carthy esque bar angle, and it makes no sense unless you are on the back wheel, in which case you are nearly vertical and can get a load mor distance into gaps and such like. everything else it's fooking hopeless

• Like 1

I rode dave kerr's rockman slate at brimham, with a Carthy esque bar angle, and it makes no sense unless you are on the back wheel, in which case you are nearly vertical and can get a load mor distance into gaps and such like. everything else it's fooking hopeless

I fully understand it. Carthys bike on the rear wheel is nice, but I like a bike that will feel comfortable all round.

I preferred Bancrofts old Slate Xl because its bar angle was less extreme, and handled better all round.

It works for Carthy and a few others, but its not for me, and more than a few riders with a good natural riding style have spoilt it because they have followed suit,

and haven't adapted to it. Thats my view anyway.

I fully understand it. Carthys bike on the rear wheel is nice, but I like a bike that will feel comfortable all round.

I preferred Bancrofts old Slate Xl because its bar angle was less extreme, and handled better all round.

It works for Carthy and a few others, but its not for me, and more than a few riders with a good natural riding style have spoilt it because they have followed suit,

and haven't adapted to it. Thats my view anyway.

Totally agree, USD bars are silly!

Mine are a tad over being inline with the stem.217966_504842069555193_885073799_n.jpg

I'd run mine in line with the angle of the stem at most, depending on the bars.
I ran my Try-All elites fairly far forwards, but they have a weird shape and had a load of back sweep when running them normally.

Totally agree, USD bars are silly!
Mine are a tad over being inline with the stem.217966_504842069555193_885073799_n.jpg

USD?