a bike inbetween the short street and the long hoppy hoppy (tgs)?

arw_86

I currently own a sweet marino 24" but I also love the thought of having better back wheel control, like on longer bikes.

Marino is 1020wb, +35bb, 380, 73*

Is there a bike anyone knows of thats a little bit in the middle if you get me? Not after 20", would rather 26", but also consider 24". I dont want super long as I don't think it suits me. Inspired hex? but that may be very similar to what I already have. Ashton?

Also if anyone can shed some light, what kind of geo would I be after and what do differences in wheel base, head angle, chainstay length and bb height do individually?

If anyone knows of someone or if you have a suitable bike then i may be willing to swap my marino for it.

Thanks

Edited by arw_86

old school base! I have no clue how the bb height would affect it to be honest. Its all confusing.

as for longer/higher stem. I'm already running 90mm x 35* with 30mm stackers and inspired bars. This bike also gives me a bad back (and I mean last 2 times I rode it I ended up at the osteopath having acupuncture) and I cannot decide if its to do with the bike geo now or me being a crap excuse for a man

haha, just messaged you back dude. its an option for sure but want some info and opinions on it in comparison to my current ride. Saying that......whats the hex like to ride?

Like riding on a cloud of epicness. But in all seriousness I was abit scared when I bought it that it was going to be really bad for normal trials stuff but it is actually really nice for bmxy/trials type stuff.

I have recently built up an ashton justice as an all rounder after getting a bit tired of switching between my 2 bikes all the time. I have had an ashton before so I knew it was a safe choice for a "in the middle" bike with the right setup.

I did want to try a hex or get a tweaked hex like custom frame made, but patience and money wasn't on my side.

• Like 1

as for geo:it all plays together as a complete system,you cannot isolate a geo measurement really.

but in general:long reach,high bb:pogo, backwheel hopping to work and back

lower bb:stable,manual machine

the steeper the headangle,the more responsive(on 2 wheels,obviously)

chainstay length:short:bunnyhoppableish,long:stable

problem:all those depend heavily on each other and the setup,small tweak,big change in feeling

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1

+1 for ashton justice or Hex.

Maybe try pick up an old leeson clear 660? I found older, lower b.b bikes feel alot better on the back heel with longer, lower stems and a nice riser handlebar :)

If your'e thinking parks/180's/3's still i'd go 24, much less gyroscopic horribleness when spinning/throwing it about. and you'll lose it all on a 26''.

Maybe a longer w.b (1030-1040?) 24 with a 90/100x10/15 stem and risers? Not too much b.b rise , like +20? Wide enough rim for rear wheel stability..

• Like 1

I think you're getting confused as to what Ashton the guys are talking about. The one with the disc mount isnt the one you should be looking into getting, its the Black and the Red ones that rode nice alround.

Im pretty sure someone is selling a full build red one at the moment wheich you should probably persue.

• Like 1