alloy bolts

bing

I'm getting my new frame Friday, and am gonna do some weight weenie stuff. I can't afford stans ti, so I'm gonna use some alloy bolts on places like brake caliper mounts, lever clamps and maybe bars and stem if they are strong enough. where is safe to use them and where not? are they safe to use in axles? what do you lot use and where?

I'm getting my new frame Friday, and am gonna do some weight weenie stuff. I can't afford stans ti, so I'm gonna use some alloy bolts on places like brake caliper mounts, lever clamps and maybe bars and stem if they are strong enough. where is safe to use them and where not? are they safe to use in axles? what do you lot use and where?

Bold is no no. Stem cap bolt, levers and cranks are the only place where they are usable I´m affraid.

if you have a stem like the try-all style with the split clamp your ok to use alloy bolts there but i wouldnt go full alloy on the steerer clamp

stuff like brake lever clamps are fine

i would bother on the wheels or the disc

just make sure you use grease other wise they will pic up and get stuck

I'm on a mod, will be using snail cams in my new frame, with saint disk brakes. was gonna use them on the brake caliper a and brackets, but think I'll stick to steel. might have to buy 2 ti bolts a week :). cheers for the replies anyway. I reckon by upgrading to the echo frame anyway I'm gonna save at least a kilo, as my bb weighs a ton and I'm running a maxxis rear tyre with a downhill tube. it's getting changed to a try all stiky lite and a normal tube. my current frame is an 09 onza blade with an Fsa platinum pro dh bb

They scare the s**t out of me :/ i had some on a front wheel and didn't realise they were ally, when i had the wheel off and retightened them they snapped and they were barely tight at all. I would be very careful where you use them.

Adam.

I'd never use them anywhere, far too weak for my liking. I used mainly stainless ones throughout my last build, apart from the rear Pro 2 bolts and crank bolts which were titanium. (Possibly the front hub bolts as well).

If I were to ever build again, I'd use all stainless ones for M6 and below, and titanium above that. Not a fan of titanium bolts in aluminium threads... They seemed to corrode together, or something.