Legal height for my Shed.

bike_dummie

Hi,

I have been building a shed (workshop) in my back garden but since our neighbors have complained about the height of the roof i am having doubts on what i am aloud.

Our shed was 9.5 foot but to keep the peace we have now lowered it down to 8,5 foot. The shed is 1m away from the house itself all the way around but the side facing the fence tapers from 12" to 4" away.

Is this legal? Now we have lowered the shed roof is there any way they could complain and take legal action against us?

Could someone also inform me of the legal height and boundaries in they're simplest forms please? As i have read all different things over the internet :P

Thanks, Adam

Depends on where you stay!

I suggest popping in to your local council planning department and have a wee friendly chat. They are not there to discourage people but will tell you all the rules/laws you need to adhere to.

Translation: Depends where you live!

:P

I'm glad you said that..... of all the strange little differences between the way Scottish and English use standard sayings the "where you stay" vs "where you live" is an odd one. My girlfriend first noticed it, same way in queues they say "who's first", not "who's next"?

Hey Andy.... Nae bother eh pal d'you ken? I know you're going to kill me come the independence anyway so thought I'd say it whilst I have the chance! :)

...well I'm glad you cleared that up, I was totally confused!

Hey Andy.... Nae bother eh pal d'you ken? I know you're going to kill me come the independence anyway so thought I'd say it whilst I have the chance! :)

Learnt how to say 'potato scone' yet?

Edited by AndrewEH1

If your orginal roof of 9'5' was built before these regulations then they couldn't complain. But any recent changes would need to be within your local councils rules and regulations.

Your will need to take the measurements/ plans to the council to find out if your ok.

Im building a shed soon, so am interested but yeah - seems pretty clear

post-3202-0-82239500-1361397782_thumb.pn

so I guess you legally would have to lower it to less than 2.5 m height or risk action, which annoyingly if it is 8.5' would be around the 10cm mark ....

you would face whatever action can be taken for breaking the planning laws ? which is probably just to enforce you to lower it anyway.

Im building a shed soon, so am interested but yeah - seems pretty clear

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-02-20 at 22.01.14.png

so I guess you legally would have to lower it to less than 2.5 m height or risk action, which annoyingly if it is 8.5' would be around the 10cm mark ....

you would face whatever action can be taken for breaking the planning laws ? which is probably just to enforce you to lower it anyway.

Odd. Our shed is right on the edge, about 10cm from the edge... I'm surprised they have rules like this, lol.

Odd, my shed is around 8ft and never had any complaints ever.

Odd. Our shed is right on the edge, about 10cm from the edge... I'm surprised they have rules like this, lol.

If your shed is 8' then it's less than 2.5m and so is within the regs Rowan posted so not that odd really.

It's not that surprising really since without these sort of regs people would take the piss and start building entire houses in their gardens and calling them outbuildings.

I suppose we will have to lower it again for the sake of 10cm it's not worth having to do it later on.

I think we must have of gone by old regulations as we read it could go up to 10foot if it was made with the majority of non combustible materials (meaning it's not a permanent building) and it's not as simple as picking it up due to it ways a ton! It's not your average shed :P

I think we must have of gone by old regulations as we read it could go up to 10foot if it was made with the majority of non combustible materials (meaning it's not a permanent building) and it's not as simple as picking it up due to it ways a ton! It's not your average shed :P

I would still visit your local planning department, or call them.

That way you can be assured that you are correct should any nosey/annoying neighbours kick up fuss.