Arm/wrist fatigue (arm pump)

Davetrials

Well after many years out of riding, smoking and drinking has all taken its toll. Ive recently just gotten back in to riding, and after a short amount of time, my arms are in agony and can barely hold on to the bar let alone pull the rear brake. i think its called arm pump, its a real issue i can see will piss me right off, how the hell can i improve this, im willing to kick the fags if i have to, is there any work outs of anything i can eat drink to combat this?

thanks alot guys!

i find if i take a break from cycling it does take the for-arms to get back into things, just ride more. they will slowly get used to it. are you brake levers and handle bars at a comfy angle? this could also contribute to soreness and strain on the for-arms.

i get this a lot from motorbike trials.. my dads friend told us to eat one banana (potassium) about an hour we before we ride and to take an aspirin, aspirin thins the blood.. and you get "arm pump" when the blood stays in your fore arms.. then have another banana half way through a ride. you can also hold your arms in the air too, this makes the blood flow back..

Edited by ashleys sugden

Try having your brake lever blades closer to the bars; there should be grub screws that enable this. You can grip better when your hand is more curled in than having your fingers way out... if you gym try rowing with the bar only in your fingers instead of In a fully clasped grip. Also pull ups and riding more. And quit smoking; it reduces your testosterone and increases your recovery time. Both these factors combined will hinder your progress and physical development.

Smoking increases your CO levels which will have a major factor for arm pump, its dramatically reduces how much oxygen your blood can hold and will stop your muscles being able to produce enough ATP aerobically = either stitch or knots.

I would personally avoid aspirin, because it can mask injuries, so you won't know if your getting pump and youll end up with muscle knots. Lots of current research is not in favor of aspirin for this purpose. People do recommend Ginko to increase blood flow to small tissue (which is what you need). Co enzyme Q10 is badass at making ATP to so get some of that.

And yes to potassium! bananas, spinach, mushrooms etc..

• Like 1