More controlled sidehops

trialsiain

The way I see it, if you do sidehops on stuff that you feel is small for your ability you're able to get on top of it really easy...

Like I can sidehop onto a low rail around 20 inch at my skatepark super easy but I struggle on a sidehop that's higher than bar height. But people who are used to like 50" sidehops or more will be able to go onto 40" easy, therefore they can focus more on where the wheels go rather than height.

Edited by JMCD

its hard to explain but if you pre load down and spring up as fast as you can just concentrate on going straight up dont worry about any side ways movements just yet, when you're at the peak of your hop bring your knees up and to the left (to the right if youre left footed obviously) this should help you to stay on the wall better as there is very little sideways momentum since youve just jumped up, sounds like what you're doing is literally a sideways hop so its just throwing you over the wall once you're on it, hope this helps

All to do with the direction of momentum,
If you're just landing on it you'll find your momentum will be sideways, wanting to throw you over,

Whereas if you can land "on" it your momentum will be less sideways.

More tuck and power into the preload and you'll land "on" it..

its hard to explain but if you pre load down and spring up as fast as you can just concentrate on going straight up dont worry about any side ways movements just yet, when you're at the peak of your hop bring your knees up and to the left (to the right if youre left footed obviously) this should help you to stay on the wall better as there is very little sideways momentum since youve just jumped up, sounds like what you're doing is literally a sideways hop so its just throwing you over the wall once you're on it, hope this helps

If it only was so easy :)

yea i think i know what you mean by needing to go up instead of too much to the side.. the highest ive done is 7 pallets but usually when i try and land it it throws me over the other side of the pallet :P

That´s exactly what happens when you go sideways instead of bike, trust me, it happens to me all the time lol. The sad part is I know what to do to stop it, but cannot really do it that way. Old habbits die hard...

Edited by ghostrider88
  • Like 1

yea i think i know what you mean by needing to go up instead of too much to the side.. the highest ive done is 7 pallets but usually when i try and land it it throws me over the other side of the pallet :P

I have this problem 2 with 6 pallets its fine but 7 I worrie about the front not makeing it so over compensate with sideways momentum so my foot ends up going down

As per WIGAN, focus on going up more.

The tuck/bar rotation should push the bike across to the left/right enough to land the bike on the object without too much sideways momentum.

Do you move body towards wall or away mid air ? cause i see damon watson landing on oppisite side of bike

Do you move body towards wall or away mid air ? cause i see damon watson landing on oppisite side of bike

your body doesn't move at all in terms of sideways movement its all in your knees, yeah you will end up hanging off one side of the bike and when your wheels are on top of the wall then you can pull your body up with your arms/legs and regain your balance, its easier said than done but thats the basic jist and its something to practice at