Ice frame paint stripping.

SamKidney

I know theres been a million and one topics on paint stripping, so sorry, but I really am stumped.

Im rawing my frame, and I deliberately avoided Nitromors and went for some own brand B&Q stuff Ive had success with in the past.
However, this doesnt even seem to be making a mark on the paint, and just sits there doing nothing. Ive left it over 3 hours, and the paints still solid.
I really dont want to end up getting it dipped etc.. because I dont want to wait when I should be able to do it at home.
Are Ice frames painted then laquered or powdercoated?

Any hits/tips/tricks to getting this sodding stuff off? A few have recommended Starchem stripper, but Im not paying £20+ for a 5 litre tub I'll never use.
I really cant be bothered sanding it down, not when stripper should do the job.

Help please.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Just a thought, when I worked in a car body shop we had a really old tin full on paint stripper stuff like nitromors. Every time it ran out my boss would fill it up somewhere. It was decent stuff too. So might be worth going to a car body shop and asking for some (Y)

Just a thought, when I worked in a car body shop we had a really old tin full on paint stripper stuff like nitromors. Every time it ran out my boss would fill it up somewhere. It was decent stuff too. So might be worth going to a car body shop and asking for some (Y)

Not a bad idea that!

I'm working in a garage at the moment, and theres a builders merchants just down the road that may stock something a little more brutal.

I don't think it's just nitromors I think all paint strippers have had to have a chemical removed as it's hazardous which means no matter what you buy it's gonna be crap

Aye I think thats the case. I'll have a look see in the garage tomorrow and see if theres any old nitromors knocking about.

Thought about getting it blasted?

Soda blasting is the least aggressive and won't pitt the alloy at all, and a local place shouldn't charge you more that £20 for a frame and fork

I got qouted for soda blasting, came back as £60 for the frame, i'm getting mine shot blasted instead, more aggressive but shouldn't pit it to much as it is only iron fillings, much cheaper aswell

I got qouted for soda blasting, came back as £60 for the frame, i'm getting mine shot blasted instead, more aggressive but shouldn't pit it to much as it is only iron fillings, much cheaper aswell

Mate, seriously don't get it shot blasted - it pits alloy badly.

See if the place you're getting it done at do bead blasting, that's what mine was done with

Shot blasting uses metal filings and grit, this is super aggressive and leaves a really pitted finish on alloy.

Bead blasting is the same process, but using little beads (similar to those you find in a BB gun) which doesn't leave such severe pitting

I got my frame done at Blast n Bake in Bridgwater, its just down the road from work so was pretty convenient