Someone smashed into my parked car...

nb88

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any advice for me, my car was parked on the road outside my house and someone crashed into it, very badly, entire bumper is hanging off. No details left etc.

I've asked around the houses on my street and nobody has seen anything, phoned the police who can't do anything without witnesses, and about to phone insurance.

Can anybody offer me any help as to what else to do?

Thanks!

Even if you phone the insurance to cancel the claim, they will still have it on record and it will affect your premiums, someone I know did the same and tried to argue with them that it shouldn't affect premium as no claim was made, their argument was they know an 'accident' has happened so it will affect, whether you proceed with claim or not.

All you can do is speak to local council .etc. and hope they find some CCTV

Best of luck

You might find, depending on the company of course, that they won't release CCTV to you as this is a civil claim.

We had requests at work in the past and we had to decline them.

You'd be better to ask neighbours if they have any private CCTV which can see the road.

Yeah I don't think I'll have any luck CCTV-wise as I can't see any cameras. Might end up just having to pay for this off my own back and finding a better place to park in future. The businesses next to my car are open all day so I'd be very surprised if none of them saw anything (maybe they were involved though). Left a note in my car aswell asking for any help...

Talking about addresses...does your driving licence have your correct address? Can get you in a little trouble if it's not correct!

Could be wrong, but I think there is a grace period. After all changing the address on your licence is usually the last thing you consider when you've moved house.

• Like 1

Talking about addresses...does your driving licence have your correct address? Can get you in a little trouble if it's not correct!

Good news, if the guy decides to be a jerk you can report him to the Police.

It is an offence to leave the scene of an accident without exchanging details.

Some may think you're training to be an officer of the law.

• Like 1

Exchanging details with who? It's an unattended parked car.

Very glad he owned up.

I would guess leaving a note in that case, would've saved me a lot of stress!

Got my car back now, needed a new rad and headlight, proper smash! Still not 100% so I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and see if we can come to an agreement....

Flipp's last car got killed off because of a similar thing - joyriders tanked into his car when it was parked up outside his place and did quite a bit of damage to it. They abandoned the car and the police couldn't track them down so it meant that Flipp would had to have claimed on his insurance to sort it out. Pretty sucky, although he ended up getting a new car he seems pretty happy with so I guess every cloud has a silver lining and all that...

I would guess leaving a note in that case, would've saved me a lot of stress!

Got my car back now, needed a new rad and headlight, proper smash! Still not 100% so I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and see if we can come to an agreement....

Yeah true, I'm not saying he should just leave by any means, but I could understand if he didn't want to leave his details on public view though. You'd expect him to do his best to get hold of you though, so it is shit he didn't do it straight away. At least he did it eventually.

Some may think you're training to be an officer of the law.

Maybe...f**king police ;)

Exchanging details with who? It's an unattended parked car.

Very glad he owned up.

Just for reference but if you can't find the owner then you should go to your local police station as soon as reasonably possible and report it there. Although I can understand why people might not want to do that. Edited by AndrewEH1

Maybe...f**king police ;)

Just for reference but if you can't find the owner then you should go to your local police station as soon as reasonably possible and report it there. Although I can understand why people might not want to do that.

Makes sense, that's kind of what I figured would be the deal. Personally I'd knock on a few doors and then resort to leaving a note if there was no joy, but I was just trying to point out that they weren't necessarily breaking the law by not leaving a note.