Help with brake decision

trialsalot

So i'm in the middle of building a XC/commuter up on a budget. I've limited my gearing to 1x9 so simplicity is really the goal. Its a toss up between a set of Avid BB7 with speed dial levers,linear slick cable OR a set of the Shimano Acera M395 hydraulics.

There's something nice about having a mechanical system than hydraulic but then hydraulics may be more powerful. The difference is £30 thereabout once discs and adaptors are purchased too so nothing really in it financially.

Help anyone?

I didn't like my bb7s for commuting, the fade was awful. I'd try some Avid elixir 3/5s if were on a budget. I've had Elixir 7s on my xc bike for about 3 years now and they've been faultless.

Avid even do a elixir 1 now for under £30 on CRC

I didn't like my bb7s for commuting, the fade was awful. I'd try some Avid elixir 3/5s if were on a budget. I've had Elixir 7s on my xc bike for about 3 years now and they've been faultless.

Avid even do a elixir 1 now for under £30 on CRC

Fade as in heat causing the brake to fade?

I would highly recommend the BB7 with the Avid oranic pads. Silent and powerful brake for all purposes and certainly more powerful than the Acera. Hydraulic does't necessarily mean more power.

BB7 (organic pads) + Jagwire Ripcord + SD7 Lever + RT66 rotor = XT BR-M785 powerwise. Have ridden both.

Edited by niconj

Cheers for the advice. I'm not a fan of avid hydraulics one bit. Ill probably use it a few times at trail centres like Hamsterley and Glentress. Nothing severe.

Me neither + Avid uses DOT and Shimano Mineral Oil the latter being more user friendly. Get the BB7s and be happy. Besides the things already said, they offer more adjustability due to the possibility of moving both pads independently.

I've ran acera disc brakes on my xc bike for a over 6 months now and I cant fault them! amazing power, very user friendly and for their price they are amazingly good value. It seems that all of the research put in to shimano's high end products trickles down into their low end products and makes them work better than other products of the same price range. I'd definitely go for the Aceras :)

I've ran acera disc brakes on my xc bike for a over 6 months now and I cant fault them! amazing power, very user friendly and for their price they are amazingly good value. It seems that all of the research put in to shimano's high end products trickles down into their low end products and makes them work better than other products of the same price range. I'd definitely go for the Aceras :)

+1

Aceras if youre on a budget all day long. I bought mine for £60.00 as a pair new with rotors off ebay last year, and I havent been able to fault them.

Very powerful, pad life is good and they feel decent too! I rode trials on mine with 160 rotors on a 26" XC bike and it broke the frame..

Take no time to bed in, and Ive hooned mine down some hills at speed and the fade isnt all that bad at all.

Very good brakes. Could make them a tad better in the future if you like by mating the Deore XT levers to the callipers.

• Like 1

If your interested at all Avid elixir1s with no rotor for 19.99..

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BRAVE1OEM/avid-elixir-1-disc-brake-no-rotor

The missus bikes had the older generation of elixirs with the traditional reservoir that started leaking from the cap so these worked out cheaper then a seal kit and the bleed kit + fluid. They're pretty awesome for that price, went and fetched a pair this morning, they rang through the till at 17.59 too!