Brake booster?

AlexClare94

Putting tar on a ground rim seems like a waste of tar if that's what he did, but Heatsink yellows are good but compared to French Cousts they're nothing on a ground rim, his set up must have been miles off from the rim surely.. My yellows used to slip allot but the brake clamp kept pushing my brake out every time, so I got some more and wow the breaks were immense haha can't wait to trial out these Cousts

Sorry to take the this all of topic! Use a booster if your frame suffers from enough flex that it affects the brake or you feel it would reduce the life of your frame. Most modern frames with a built in booster don't require anything else and adding one may increase the brakes hold but at the sacrifice of reduced bite. If your frame flexes a lot, then a two bolt booster can be a could compromise between; improving brake feel, reducing flex and whilst not lowering bite at the expense of hold.

Personally I think that anyone that has to use tar to make a brake work either has the wrong pad/rim combo or can't set up a brake; you shouldn't have to use a sticky substance to make a brake work.

Since I've been running French Coust pads (for the last 5 years or so) I've always had a brake that has performed consistently excellent in all conditions. With a well set up brake and a good grind, they really are awesome. I think the other benefit of these pads is that they just last so damn long, my current set are coming up to 18 months old and still have life in them.

• Like 1

Sorry to take the this all of topic! Use a booster if your frame suffers from enough flex that it affects the brake or you feel it would reduce the life of your frame. Most modern frames with a built in booster don't require anything else and adding one may increase the brakes hold but at the sacrifice of reduced bite. If your frame flexes a lot, then a two bolt booster can be a could compromise between; improving brake feel, reducing flex and whilst not lowering bite at the expense of hold.

Personally I think that anyone that has to use tar to make a brake work either has the wrong pad/rim combo or can't set up a brake; you shouldn't have to use a sticky substance to make a brake work.

Since I've been running French Coust pads (for the last 5 years or so) I've always had a brake that has performed consistently excellent in all conditions. With a well set up brake and a good grind, they really are awesome. I think the other benefit of these pads is that they just last so damn long, my current set are coming up to 18 months old and still have life in them.

the

Yeah well the GU frame that I want doesn't have a booster built in but I guess if I feel like it's weakening the brakes I could always bang one on if need be, but with the coust pads and a medium sharp ground rim I should be fine :)

ffs, i have a smooth rim now on the yellows with tar and with cousts i had a grind and no tar, they were set up close, there was nothing wrong but the pads, possible out of a bad batch?

also my heatsinks may be better because they're in tnn cnc backings?

Hmm all cousts come with CNC aluminium backings don't they? But yeah CNC backings make a hell of a nicer fit but you have to get them dead square otherwise like in your case, they will be shiteee haha

Send them back :giggle:

Trimps are the future (Y)

(I work on comission fmlybkr ;) )

Will test them as well and also get rid of my 4-hole booster. Just want to know how the brake differs. It's one thing reading about it on a forum, another having first hand experiences.

Having said that, I don't find mounting a 4-bolt booster that hard actually. The only tricky thing is to get the alloy shims to stay in place.

Edited by niconj

TNN Adms with no booster alllll day long.

I switched to cousts at Radfest last year from them, and aside from the insane increase in bite, which was too much for me really, they were on a par with my Adms.

In terms of feel and performance I think adms are a treat.

• Like 2

Will test them as well and also get rid of my 4-hole booster. Just want to know how the brake differs. It's one thing reading about it on a forum, another having first hand experiences.

Having said that, I don't find mounting a 4-bolt booster that hard actually. The only tricky thing is to get the alloy shims to stay in place.

I didn't think that the frame would flex that little w/o the booster. It actually feels the same when pulling the lever. The only thing I noticed right from the start (and my Trialtech pads still haven't bedded in after readjustment) is that the brake has gotten way louder. It's like a train braking. Won't do any night rides anymore I guess. :D

Has your frame got a built in booster?

Nope. I can't see any considerable flex either. I thought it was the frame flexing but it's rather the brake clamps moving. Sort of turning the seat stays. As I said it doesn't feel any different just has gotten louder. I will have to see how well it performs bite/hold wise on Friday though.

• 3 weeks later...