MBUK Trials articles

Ross McArthur

• 3 weeks later...

Nice post Ross, keep them coming. I pretty much stopped buying MBUK when it got it's facelift and removed anything to do with trials. I remember a good article where Martyn Ashton and Grant Fielder swapped roles but adapted their own bikes to suit (Martyn going dirt jumping, Grant doing trials). Pretty sure there's an issue which featured an interview with a young Mr Travis...

• Like 1

I havent seen one of these yet that i dont own haha. If you have 20odd then i've got like three years worth. Still to this day got a2 size MBUK poster of ashton riding on the this cliff edge somewhere in gemany, a mint sauce a2 poster and an akrigg A4 of him on the giants causeway, probs from that feature scanned ^^. Its what I wake up to on the way outta me room in a mornin'.

I think i've the issue from the MBUK 'lets build a FO ramp next to a lake' feature, where Martyn broke his back the first time learning backflips. I'd speculate, using what I know about motorcycle road racers with spine injuries (part of the TT marshals course), that this previous trauma may be (part of) the reason he now can't feel his feet...

Edited by CC12345678910

I think i've the issue from the MBUK 'lets build a FO ramp next to a lake' feature, where Martyn broke his back the first time learning backflips. I'd speculate, using what I know about motorcycle road racers with spine injuries (part of the TT marshals course), that this previous trauma may be (part of) the reason he now can't feel his feet...

He broke his back first time at a skatepark, not at a lake jump. He also broke his back for the second time in a totally different way, at a different point. From the reports of what happened to him afterwards I think he'd probably have ended up fairly screwed past injury or not. As he said, he's lucky to be alive so I don't think the previous injury at Newport was going to have had much of a bearing on things.

• Like 1

He broke his back first time at a skatepark, not at a lake jump. He also broke his back for the second time in a totally different way, at a different point. From the reports of what happened to him afterwards I think he'd probably have ended up fairly screwed past injury or not. As he said, he's lucky to be alive so I don't think the previous injury at Newport was going to have had much of a bearing on things.

So in that case the lake jump might have been the 2nd time. I swear I'm not making that up but now you've made me doubt myself. I didn't know about the 1st one int skatepark. And yeah, the people with spine injury that ive met, and unfortunately in racing it happens too often, take the attitude of being in a wheelchair is not the end of the world, where as not breathing any longer is.

And then your family then have to suffer with that - but thats a different conversation entirely.

I havent seen one of these yet that i dont own haha. If you have 20odd then i've got like three years worth. Still to this day got a2 size MBUK poster of ashton riding on the this cliff edge somewhere in gemany, a mint sauce a2 poster and an akrigg A4 of him on the giants causeway, probs from that feature scanned ^^. Its what I wake up to on the way outta me room in a mornin'.

Yea, I used to have the same until I bit the bullet and chucked them out. These ones I have now were donated to me by a friend of a friend.

If you have the magazine where Martyn shows off the first Ashton Justice, could you post some pictures of that?

I think I need to up my game and post some more. Ill probably try using my DSLR instead of my phone next.