Zap Tap question

donski

So what you're saying is that the actual height is more defined by the pulling up with your arms and tucking your knees up?

Hence me saying this

I find the technique for this is best learnt doing bunnyhops to rear on things

As that way the entire move is performed under your own power, you get a feel for really jumping the bike and lifting it up beneath you

As that way the entire move is performed under your own power, you get a feel for really jumping the bike and lifting it up beneath you

Well, I need to practice bunny hops then. It's just so hard doing it with a pogo stick bike.

Hope this makes sense

I'm no pro but this is what I do

How come that you don't even lift the front wheel with your lazy foot? Could this be my problem? I lift the front up way earlier with my left foot while you lift it with your right foot really.

Edited by niconj

You lift with your strong foot, like most other moves. You can start with your weak foot, good practise for short run ups and tight spots but generally when I have room I use my strong foot.

That's interesting as I went by the Trashzen tutorial and in the description (the second picture) his weak foot is at 6 o'clock and the front wheel has already been lifted quite a bit.

Now I also get how people do it with only half a crank turn. I struggled to get the wheel up when starting with my weak foot on the front, meaning lifting the front wheel with the first pedal stroke of my weak foot. If you just use this as a speed up and really only lift the front with the strong foot, it seems easier.

Thanks so much, I will practice this even though it'll mean that I have to go back to 3 pallets...

I find it is common amongst stock riders that they perform a full crank turn while most mod riders tend to use half crank turn... to me it is easier to do a half crank turn pedal up as I can put more power to it, but I guess it is down to personal preference.

So I tried to do the lifting of the front wheel later while still performing a full crank turn and it didn't work. So I made two steps back and started with my weak foot on the front, just like in Matt's video.

Obviously I couldn't reach the heights I used to and I really felt unstable as well but it felt better as soon as I managed to NOT lift the front wheel with my weak foot rather than performing the lifting with my strong foot only. It takes getting used to as I always feel that I crash against the wall when not lifting the front with the left BUT it also feels like I got more leverage when performing the lifting with my strong foot.

I really think that this was the main reason for not getting any higher than 5 pallets. There was no resistance anymore and I pushed into nothing with my strong foot. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I also recorded one of my first attempts showing how I had been doing it...

I think your problem in that is your taking off from too far away

But my maximum height in the above video isn't any higher than when I reach the wall. How will a closer take off affect my height?

And I am actually confused... I've had a look at many pedal up videos by now and there's an equal part of riders who does lift the front wheel with the weak foot (just like Trashzen shows it).

Edited by niconj

But my maximum height in the above video isn't any higher than when I reach the wall. How will a closer take off affect my height?

And I am actually confused... I've had a look at many pedal up videos by now and there's an equal part of riders who does lift the front wheel with the weak foot (just like Trashzen shows it).

seems to me you're over thinking it, just keep trying to gain size.

just try to play with your technique.

Spend more time doing them than thinking about them, it will click eventually.

Spend more time doing them than thinking about them, it will click eventually.

I guess so, even though I have been doing them for 3/4 of a year now (started in Sept. 13 with trials) and have until now, always gained height. Only now I'm at a point that I can't seem to get over...

Edited by niconj

So here's a vid of myself struggling with a height. I actually didn't pay attention to my left foot not doing any lifting and it still happened (or didn't happen for that matter).

And here's what happened on my last pedal up attempt. :(

15115531792_4da1af36b2.jpgZee by niconj, on Flickr

Edited by niconj