Good Cheap Disc Brake

Hotchy

So, I'm riding brakeless currently, and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but standard trials is starting to take my fancy as well, and there's some moves I want to do that are only possible with a brake. So I'm looking for a cheap disc to whack on the front, and I'm gonna throw my HS33 on the back

Any suggestions as to a decent brake?

Cheers guys

Hey man, I'd definitely buy it, but I'm mega skint atm, so looking for something a tad cheaper than that

Avid BB7, dirt cheap and stupidly powerful

Is the BB5 a lot worse? Cos I'm skint and could do with getting something a little cheaper than the BB7, as I'm after a set of bars as well

Are they really that cheap? You need a calliper and rotor, lever and really a linear slic cable.

Just very quickly from CRC (I know you might be able to get bits from elsewhere cheaper, but this was for a quick easy example):

Linear slic cable £9.99

Avid BB7 Front 160mm rotor £39.99

Avid FR5 Lever £9.99

Total: £59.97

Fine if you're getting it all second hand as it'll be a bit cheaper (although i'd fit new cables at least) and even then it won't be much cheaper than that hope at £60.

Edited by craigjames

Are they really that cheap? You need a calliper and rotor, lever and really a linear slic cable.

Just very quickly from CRC (I know you might be able to get bits from elsewhere cheaper, but this was for a quick easy example):

Linear slic cable £9.99

Avid BB7 Front 160mm rotor £39.99

Avid FR5 Lever £9.99

Total: £59.97

Fine if you're getting it all second hand as it'll be a bit cheaper (although i'd fit new cables at least) and even then it won't be much cheaper than that hope at £60.

I've already got a lever and a cable, sorry, should have made that clear, they're not exactly the best, but I mainly ride brakeless and intend to keep riding brakeless more than standard trials anyway, it's just nice to have the option to ride both

Second that. Either BB5 or BB7 are amazing. I run BB7s but I've tried BB5s before and they are basically the same in terms of power. The only difference is that the BB7 has a pad wear adjustment dial. The BB5 may be a bit lighter though, being a simpler brake.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and not recommend a bb5/7 for the front of a streety build. I've tried it and it's pretty good at locking the wheel up and it all feels good at the lever but I'd say it just doesn't have good enough modulation for the front.

I really like stoppies though, I found the bb7 I used had such a small margin where stoppies were controlable. There just isn't the feel and feedback that a hydraulic brake can give.

I'd recommend the Shimano Deores, they are pretty good but let down by a bit of pad wobble.

• Like 1