"Herb has new parts, and therefore questions" -as usual

Herbertlemon102

In this case, pad rock! There's a fair bit of it going on here. Retaining pin moves laterally too. The noise it makes, the "clunk" I'm sure can be fixed with some copper grease, but I'm thinking something's up with my retaining pin? I'm not used to dual disc so it may be my paranoia but it's always good to know. Usually run magura on the rear

post-37174-0-48330000-1413060276_thumb.j

post-37174-0-09898900-1413060288_thumb.j

Didn't realise bike manufacturers still used split pins for pad retention?!

Up to SLX/ZEE Shimano still does even though you've got the option of buying a retention screw*; the thread is there.

As Peter said, pad rock is there and normal. You won't believe how noisy my Zee was.

*And, contrary to what is said on this forum, the pad knock doesn't get better with the screw. It's still better upgrading when riding trials as the split pin might fall out. Had this problem so I know what I'm talking about.

Edited by niconj

Up to SLX/ZEE Shimano still does even though you've got the option of buying a retention screw*; the thread is there.

As Peter said, pad rock is there and normal. You won't believe how noisy my Zee was.

*And, contrary to what is said on this forum, the pad knock doesn't get better with the screw. It's still better upgrading when riding trials as the split pin might fall out. Had this problem so I know what I'm talking about.

if your split pin is falling out then you're doing something wrong

• Like 4

What brake is it?

shimano Deore, yep.

shimano deore or slx i'd assume.you'll get pad noise with nearly every shimano brake,its normal

would putting copper grease on the pad backings stop the creaking/clunking noise? I'll just have to get used to the rock I guess

Copper grease on the pad backings, it's usually the standard thing to do? If you manage to get copper grease on the pads when you're putting it on the backings, there's something wrong there

I wouldn't put any grease near my brakes. The pad rock (noise) gets less but never ceases completely.

are you retarded? the whol point in a split pin is that you split it so it wont fall out and your pads dont fall out, whatever kind of riding you do you definitly need to split the pin

You sound like a 15 year old hiding behind his computer insulting people. The split pin comes split already just not in a 90° angle so I didn't see the reason to split it further. I was wrong, end of story.

So basically it's not a problem, there is no need to buy a new retention pin, it's just you're a retard and didn't work out that an unbent bit of metal might fall out of a larger diameter hole.

Case closed m'lady.

Have you ever had a Shimano brake in your hands? It comes with the pin already bent, just not in a 90° angle. So for XC racing it's pretty much retard proof.

Edited by niconj

Riding TRIALS not trails (a.k.a. XC). Read before you write.

It makes no difference what style your riding.

If a split pin isn't bent, regardless of its application it will fall out.

Split pins don't need to be bent to 90degress to stop them falling out. They only need to be open up to about the same size as the split pin head.

Personally I like to bend them nicely around the pin.

Split pins have no use on a bicycle regardless of brands. There just a cheap and nasty way of holding things in place.

I've put a nice stainless steel bolt through mine with a nylock nut on the end

wrapping duct tape around the pun works too, so I've heard. I believe most/all shimano brakes have a thread on the pin hole so you can remove the pun and replace it with a bolt if you wanted to?