It's 2014. What are the best damn disk brakes?

dave_VD

Ignoring the near annual thread bump and the fact that you appear not have read the post you've quoted and questioned, you're small and light so don't need enormous rotors. 180s should be plenty and you might even get away with smaller if they're performing well.

I had success with 180mm RT66s and assume you would too, but haven't tried the IceTech so can't comment on that.

• Like 1

Ice Tech won't make any noticeable difference, they might stand up to a knock better, or worse, no idea. I've got both and I notice zero difference so don't put too much thought into it. Like Luke says you're small and light so you'd probably get away with 180's on very good brakes.

Hi paper clip Im 5.7" and 65kilos would you suggest a 203mm size rotor F & R set up on my 24"? Im using a zee brakeset any insight? an icetech or RT66? which is better?

I'll stick with my first answer 180 would be all good but if you feel you want the reassurance then just bump up to 203 if you need to buy adapters and so on just go 203 and then you have piece of mind.

Both the aluminium spider style rotors seem good the only difference being the ice tech one is a different grade steel used to deal with heat better so for trials you'll be all good.

Edited by Paperclip
  • Like 1

I'll stick with my first answer 180 would be all good but if you feel you want the reassurance then just bump up to 203 if you need to buy adapters and so on just go 203 and then you have piece of mind.

Both the aluminium spider style rotors seem good the only difference being the ice tech one is a different grade steel used to deal with heat better so for trials you'll be all good.

with all the guys here seems to vote for the 180 and a better steel material construction for the icetech as you said I will go for the Icetch 180

thank you very much Leon, Luke, paperclip and john... regards

Edited by streetworksoldies

I have been running the Sram guide rsc for a while now, and I really like them, I had one replaced for leaky pistons but they are really nice feeling brakes imo. The levers and discs were all new but the calipers were old avid ones, now they have made new calipers and a disc with spider, https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/guide-ultimate