It's 2014. What are the best damn disk brakes?

dave_VD

my vote is for hopes with jitsie pads, i've known a few people who've snapped the saint calipers, (and a handful that have broken hopes) but the number of hope users > shimano users, so i'd presume the hope is the tougher cookie. plus jitsie pads are comically good.

• Like 1

Nice edit:

I have tried out MT2 brake to find out their calipers snap, Hope tech3 trialzone (a pair of them on my bike) to find their stopping power to lack compared to the saints. I have also had m810/m820 levers on my bike and also m810/20 calipers too. I even tried a bb7 late last year.

So you are not the only person to try all these brakes out. After riding with Ali who has tried your brakes out and seeing Mark who is running your brakes both complaining about them and riding at a decent level I don't plan on ever trying a hope 4pot caliper. (Just note that I live 10 min's away from the Hope factory and if they was good enough do you not think I would be running them?)

Also my choice of running only a rear only has what to do with this thread? Must really suck to see...... try it :)

Thanks for detailed reply.

Mark using E4 or V4? And with 183 or 203 rotors?

My expirience now is this - in ascending order braking quality :

1) cheap vees and cheap disc shimano mech brakes

2) avid juicy three - shitty brake that even can't stop wheel at snow in some situations

3) set of BB7 with echo TR rotors, shitty brakes (not BB7 but my setup)

4) Deore Vees + TNN pads + fresh grind + linear cable - pretty good brake but vees are shit because they always upsetting and you need to reset pads distance and keep your rims in ideal state.

5) ECHO TR 08 brake - works awesome but leaks like a bitch. Hydro brakes always > than mechs. And it is said by me - fan of mech brakes(in past).

And also here a BB5 + avid rotors (roundagon 180 as far as I remember) awesome on/off brake, good hold but bad modulation.

6)Hope M4 Tech 2 Evo with 203 203 Hope Mono6 Saw rotors.

7)Hope V4 Tech 3 with 203 Hope Mono6 Saw rotors. (more power + lever is more comfy, and of course they are looks awesome)

By forum replies it seems that TrialZone is worst than Hope 4-pot brakes so I don't even want to buy them.

The last question for me is SAINTS. It seems that I'll have to try both M810 and M820 despite of M810 are really crazy hard to find.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

Thanks for detailed reply.

Mark using E4 or V4? And with 183 or 203 rotors?

My expirience now is this - in ascending order braking quality :

1) cheap vees and cheap disc shimano mech brakes

2) avid juicy three - shitty brake that even can't stop wheel at snow in some situations

3) set of BB7 with echo TR rotors, shitty brakes (not BB7 but my setup)

4) Deore Vees + TNN pads + fresh grind + linear cable - pretty good brake but vees are shit because they always upsetting and you need to reset pads distance and keep your rims in ideal state.

5) ECHO TR 08 brake - works awesome but leaks like a bitch. Hydro brakes always > than mechs. And it is said by me - fan of mech brakes(in past).

And also here a BB5 + avid rotors (roundagon 180 as far as I remember) awesome on/off brake, good hold but bad modulation.

6)Hope M4 Tech 2 Evo with 203 203 Hope Mono6 Saw rotors.

7)Hope V4 Tech 3 with 203 Hope Mono6 Saw rotors. (more power + lever is more comfy, and of course they are looks awesome)

By forum replies it seems that TrialZone is worst than Hope 4-pot brakes so I don't even want to buy them.

The last question for me is SAINTS. It seems that I'll have to try both M810 and M820 despite of M810 are really crazy hard to find.

http://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_Saint_M810_Rear_Disc_Brake_Set/descpage-SHSM810RRBS.html

The front brakes are easier to find, I presume you would have to swap the levers around? with Saint brakes you do not need to rebleed them if you do this.

But if V2 can stop fast this thing from 170km/h and reliable enough to be a dragracing brake I don't get how Hope brakes may be not one of the best brakes ever.

And Saints are DH brakes, usage brakes in DH is completely different to a trials though, isn't it?

Well, anyway I'll try all this brakes.

One more question about M810/20 they are close hydraulic system?

Yeah that's my point. And why Hope TRIALS brakes are better than Saints for trials :P

Nope, open system.

I've had saints for pure trials, and they were miles better than any hope I've ever had for trials

That's also my point, everyone's opinions are different, there is no 'best' brake.

Of course there are no best brakes in terms of personal preference.

But using scientific approach we may find out which brake/pads/rotors/levers combination has:

1) best hold

2) best bite

3) best resistance to overheating (not actual for trials)

etc.