Does anyone have access to a CNC machine and/or a drill press?

weirdoku

20141105_074416_zps4iiwsbzw.jpg cross.jpg

so thats the graphics on the machine with most of it programmed. Just gotta find some steal then i shall be good to go.

Not sure if you corrected the holes in your post above but the cross section should look like this, the holes go all the way through. The total height is 17mm but looks like you added an extra 2mm so it appears the holes doesn't go all the way through? 2mm of the total height is the thickness of the lip.

5mm diameter holes on the lip side that goes down 7mm and 2mm diameter holes on the non lip side that goes down 10mm.

Sorry for the confusion!

IMG_9087.jpg

Edited by weirdoku

Haha its the way my graphics work i tell it a rough piece of material thats why the stocks bigger than the finished piece. And from a top view when showing you the 5mm holes into the 2mm i cant get the machine to show a smaller diameter under a bigger top 1. The way i will be machining it is, grip in a vice machine it upside down turn it round gripping on the 20mm side then flash across face then put in the through holes. Was just a rough graphics i was trying to show :)

Edited by greg1040

It's gonna be a ferrule block for a guitar. The block will be fit snug into a cavity on the guitar body, the strings tension will pull the block inwards to the body which will stop it from falling out. Plus it's all one piece so nothing to vibrate.

The finish should be super smooth it will be flicked across both faces with a facemill then the sides will be cut twice with a carbide endmill. Im used to working with 0.001 tollerances and 32ra seal bores so finish and sizes and concentricity will be perfect.

For a one off drill jig it's hardly worth the effort of heat treatment :)

For a one off drill jig it's hardly worth the effort of heat treatment :)

id just flame harden it, by hand only takes a few mins, then temper it.

That's brilliant. I've made a few bits for various people, glad to see its not just me who does stuff.

couldn't agree more, nice to show people on here who stuff gets machined, to many people think you just press a button or two.

I've made headset adaptors for a cannondale road frame, some press in cups to allow shimano bb bearing/cranks in an NS majesty frame, with has a Spanish or mid bb. Made Dan cox a rear axle, which he snapped within two days. Made Tom Whittaker some new spacers for his echo 135 rear hub. Made myself a 10mm bolt in axle for a hope bulb hub. When I was an apprentice I made a 50mm DH stem for my Saracen hardtail. Loads of stuff. It's ace making things