Does anyone have access to a CNC machine and/or a drill press?

weirdoku

Anyone? I need something made in a block of brass/aluminium or whatever solid materail about 80mm x 80mm x 30mm with 7 holes drilled in it. I need this made perfect, with the holes spaced apart from each other at a precise distance.

Not looking to spend a lot, maybe including material (if you have any) about £30?

Edited by weirdoku

Got a drawing? How perfect? Tolerances? Hole Sizes?

I could possibly get it made in mild steel, can't guarantee it will be done on the cnc miller but it would be on the drillpress otherwise. Postage in mild steel would be about 10 quid I think as it's going to weigh 1.5kg or there abouts.

Material wise, we may have an offcut of 30mm thick plate floating around, is the thickness critical as we might have some 25mm more readily available.

• Like 1

I'll get you a drawing done in a bit. But imagine a 80 x 80 x 30mm block with 7 holes in a line in the centre of the block. Preferably the thicker the material the better as I plan on using it as a drill guide as I don't own a drip press. It's for a guitar I'm putting together, for the string/ferrule holes so I need the spacing between the holes as straight and as accurately spaced apart as possible.

Actually, thinking about it I might need to to have 14 holes... Be back in a bit with some drawings!

Greg what sort of materials have you got? What I'm ultimately after is something like THIS but a 7 hole/string version seems impossible to find. I would make one myself but I don't own a drill press to accurately drill the holes.

If it's something you can I'll take you up on your offer and maybe get a few more made too. Of course I'll pay the costs etc.

I'll start doing the drawings now! Thanks both of you!

Inches would be better i hate working in metric mate. Ill be back to work tomorrow so hopefully i can grab a bit of steel and make it for you during lunch.

Interesting that you prefer imperial, is that because you're old or just dont like metric? I guess that the mill can be set to/programmed in either?

I am bi-unit and can switch from one to the other quite happily, partly because my dad always worked in imperial and taught me the differences aged 8 or so. It helps that a lot of our equipment at work was designed last century and knowing the common conversions is very useful :)

• Like 1

Interesting that you prefer imperial, is that because you're old or just dont like metric? I guess that the mill can be set to/programmed in either?

I am bi-unit and can switch from one to the other quite happily, partly because my dad always worked in imperial and taught me the differences aged 8 or so. It helps that a lot of our equipment at work was designed last century and knowing the common conversions is very useful :)

Been a cnc machinist now for 8 years and worked for 3 different companys and all my drawings i work with are imperial i get the odd drawing in metric and it just gets converted straight away. But yeh the machine when starting a new programme asks weather i want to programme in mms or inches but all the inspection equipment we have is all imperial also.

Most drills and all tools i use are all metric so i can convert also of sizes off the top of my head or the good old × or ÷ by 25.4 works it out easily. But dont listen to ross im nae an auld man haha am only 24.

Fair enough, if most of the work you have is in imperial then it's daft to convert it all over. I've had to set up dual standards in solidworks at work to cover all of our older kit that is machined to imperial jigs, does the legwork for you with fractional and decimals which is handy. Decimal feet is still a headf**k though!

I'm soooo sorry if this gives you a headache! Sorry for my bad terminology too. I only had Google Sketchup to do this with. I'm pretty sure I got all the measurements in there. I decided to go with metric since your tools are in metric.

Most important thing is that I need the distance between the middle of each holes to be as precise as you can get to 10.57mm and the centre hole in the centre.

The round edge is the edge of a quadrant of a 5mm radius circle. Does that make sense? Ha. If you can't do the round edges just make them square I'll file it down myself.

Pleeeeease let me know if I've missed something! And sorry for this bunch of shitty images lol.

ferruleblock01.jpg

ferruleblock04.jpg

ferruleblock02.jpg

ferruleblock03.jpg

ferruleblock05.jpg

ferruleblock06.jpg

Edited by weirdoku