Beware anyone still using deathtrap 2011/2012 Echo SL forks

konstant

TL:DR It's well known that these aren't very strong forks, but I was shocked at how easily mine snapped.

I gather that these forks (26") have a reputation for snapping, but I never hook or gap to front, and don't think I've otherwise given this fork a hard time. Mine snapped from fatigue while riding on flat tarmac last weekend, and I was inches away from impaling my neck on the upwards pointing steerer tube when I fell. I just thought I'd emphasise how easily these can snap.

Echo obviously took note because the forks from 2013 onwards have a way beefier steerer which adds 72g to the overall weight.

The intact fork is a brand new 2014 model from Tarty:

post-25041-0-77786800-1415467813_thumb.j

post-25041-0-42008900-1415467825_thumb.j

Edited by konstant
  • Like 1

mine snapped when i did drop t-two of a 4 stack of pallets, completlyey wasn't expecting it and could have been much worse, luckly i only came out with a grazed chin and elbow.

id rather not ride than run them forks,

p.s. my snapped ones look identical to yours

wierd thing is i checked them the night before in that place as one of our loacol riders snapped them there a week or so beofer but ther were no cracks/stressmarks

While we're at it. What's the strongest vee forks around atm? For 26".

And what's the strongest disc fork?

Running echo Urbans at the moment which I got off eBay in April for a quid and I have smashed them up loads, they're second hand and about 5 years old... So getting a bit nervous now ha.

I'm wondering how much the integral crown race contributes to these failures which is making me a tad nervous about having bought more SLs…

And what's the strongest disc fork?

Running echo Urbans at the moment which I got off eBay in April for a quid and I have smashed them up loads, they're second hand and about 5 years old... So getting a bit nervous now ha.

Trialtechs seem to get rave reviews, but are expensive. There are 900g and 750g versions.

I'm biased but I'd replace them! I doubt many parts that can do as much harm as a failing fork. Mine failed while I was riding on flat at ~15mph and it was one of my most painful crashes to date. You don't get time to bail – you've already eaten tarmac / bits of your bike by the time you notice something's up.

trialtech sl disc forks shit took me 2 months to snap them at the disc bracket. currently running the new rockman 7005's disc and they are 50grams heavier but they are signifiacantly bulkier and stiffer.

50grams, dear christ who gives a f**k! Especially on forks.

• Like 1

Quick question. I have these forks on my echo pure. I'm a light rider, at around sport level, and weigh 120lbs. Should I be worrying about my forks? Thanks.

When I bought this fork I weighed ~75kg. I now weigh ~80kg. A lot more than you, but the way you ride and how often are more important.

You start worrying about forks breaking once you actually start doing some front wheel heavy moves.

I would agree, but I didn't hook, tap or do any significant gaps to front with this fork. I've not really even had significant bails/fails that would stress it. I rode without a front brake for a couple of hours once which was probably the most abuse it ever received, but nothing above curb height!

Edited by konstant

Weirdly I only ever saw pairs of the black forks that came on the full builds but never the 2011 silver forks, I had a pair in Silver that lasted me over a year (Those are still on a local riders bike with no problems) Maybe they was different and from another batch. The feel of them on the bikes were really nice though so I hope they have solved the issue for the newer models.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nowt wrong with my sl's, I've had them on since I got the 24 and they feel fine, no signs of breaking, mine are that thick steerer tube version if that's anything to do with it. I'm a heavy lad as well, so I think I'd be able to make them break. They flex a bit, but that's it

Nowt wrong with my sl's, I've had them on since I got the 24 and they feel fine, no signs of breaking, mine are that thick steerer tube version if that's anything to do with it. I'm a heavy lad as well, so I think I'd be able to make them break. They flex a bit, but that's it

The consensus seems to be that the revised versions are strong given their low weight. The legs do flex but I haven't heard of failures.

Update: ~£200 spent on knee physio so far since my accident 6 weeks ago (still wouldn't have been seen yet on the NHS) and I've grown bone spurs on my tibia and thumb from where they met the tarmac.

Weirdly I only ever saw pairs of the black forks that came on the full builds but never the 2011 silver forks, I had a pair in Silver that lasted me over a year (Those are still on a local riders bike with no problems) Maybe they was different and from another batch. The feel of them on the bikes were really nice though so I hope they have solved the issue for the newer models.

I've also not heard of the silver ones snapping.

Also, I stumbled upon this clip on Instagram the other day!

http://instagram.com/p/r7LrFyAoTI/?modal=true

Yeah I have seen that before, Companies make mistakes but it's the ones that acknowledge their mistakes and openly tell people about them that I applaud.

Trialtech recalled a batch of forks over 2014, keeping their reputation and peoples faith in their products/service.

• Like 1