Will rawing frame weaken it?

Jimbojones311291

This question isn't as silly as it sounds.

If you didn't know, you could easily assume that the stripper could eat into the metal and weaken it...

Completely agree mate.

Which it did to my T-pro as said above. Destroyed the headset area and made the frame absolutely redundant

If it is painted, most chemical paint strippers will be acceptable. However read the label to ensure it is safe on the frames material, be it aluminum or steel.

Some chemical strippers can damage aluminum while being fine on steel. If the steel is high strength, well above typical chromoly, various chemicals can enter the metal and cause embrittlement and with use cracking.

If you do use a mechanical means, such as a wire wheel, wire brush, Scotchbrite, or abrasive paper or wools, be very careful since these can cut into the metal of the frame also. Aluminum being more easily destroyed than steel.

Not sure of the desired end result, be it brushed, polished or resprayed, but most chemical strippers will have a usually last step finish of soap and water with Scotchbrite to remove chemical stripper residue and provide a uniform finish.

If you are removing anodize, often times oven cleaner is used. As was mentioned, any of the anodize strip chemicals left on too long will eat away the metal.

Even some soaps, often the purple colored spray soap for aggressive cleaning can stain or remove anodize.

If you have an anodized frame and want to paint it, the anodize is an excellent base to build onto after cleaning.

PK

Dan that's because you used caustic soda, fine if you want to strip anodising and you know what you're doing. Not ideal for paint and definitely not one to leave on an aluminium frame.

Exactly man, that's why i'm saying that it can damage the frame if you leave it on long enough. If he is using caustic soda that is but a paint stripper shouldn't affect it.

I've had two of my frames left in paint removing acid over night at a car body shop with no detrimental effects OP