Sidehop technique/strength question

niconj

Turn your front wheel towards the wall as you land and preload deeper (let your ass get down further towards the tire). Also, let the front wheel drop a bit more as you're preloading, that lets you transfer more power into lifting the bike.

Here's a good video to watch, he has very good sidehop technique:

Edited by Ross W.
  • Like 2

I'm sort of stuck just shy of 50" at the moment and cant seem to get any higher, i hit a mental block when the wall is higher than my bar on my back wheel and start panicking about which angle i should approach from, anyone overcome this annoying mental habit?

10 hours ago, Davetrials said:

I'm sort of stuck just shy of 50" at the moment and cant seem to get any higher, i hit a mental block when the wall is higher than my bar on my back wheel and start panicking about which angle i should approach from, anyone overcome this annoying mental habit?

Just put your bars full carthy, then the wall will be lower :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I can't believe it's been three months already since I've tried that 1m wall. I practiced side hops pretty much every time I went out but haven't processed at all height wise. Last week I tried the wall shown in the video and failed about 100 times in a row. I always set my foot down first and couldn't keep it on the pedal. I dunno why this happened so I went back to an even lower wall and couldn't do it either without putting down my foot. So I went back to a 30cm curb and only then I could convince my foot to stay on the pedal. It took me an entire week to get over this and I went up in small steps always focussing on the technique. Today I finally got back to the height I was able to do months ago. The technique is better though which is a good thing. I also focussed on putting down the front wheel first but have to get my head around this still. It kinda works already but needs a lot of practice still.

Edited by niconj

I'm far from an expert but doesn't seem to be much wrong with that @niconj.

If it were me i'd want to set up from two wheel pulling up less, so the front wheel is lower, my wrists and hand placement rotated backwards (anticlockwise, towards the top cap) and the bars (or/and brake levers, as brake lever angle affects body positioning and rear wheel balance a shit ton) pulled up a degree to suit. Then do what you do already but pull back on the crank and kick shit ou'tet freewheel!! Ditto on gaps.

Have you tried landing on the wall without the brakes locked? Obviously if it's a narrow wall or you're at a corner you're gonna want to still cover the levers and brake after you land and stand up but it helped with my smoothness.

I personally turn the bars to the left (right footed and sidehop left same as you) a touch as i land, as i tuck down in to beside the rear tyre better, dunno If you've tried that but I reckon it stops the disc noise too as you're not doing so much of a sideways gap up to front type thing and ramming into a locked on disc.

Edited by CC12345678910

6 hours ago, CC12345678910 said:

I'm far from an expert but doesn't seem to be much wrong with that @niconj.

If it were me i'd want to set up from two wheel pulling up less, so the front wheel is lower,

Thanks. So you are basically saying that I should do the side hop off two wheels?

I am experimenting with the bar angle at the moment. I had them rolled back a lot more and it just didn't feel too well on the rear wheel. I rolled them forward and now it seems fine. The thing with the brake lever angle is that I can't roll them more upwards as it doesn't feel right on other moves and even though it seems like it, I don't do side hops all the time. :D

Kicking the shit out of the FFW... well, I still have to force myself not to lock the brake as soon as the rear wheel leaves the ground. I will also have to lower the front wheel a bit more on preload. I have tried landing on the wall with my rear brake open at least. It works from time to time and sometimes I even land smoothly on the wall. The same with turning the bars left upon landing. Sometimes it works, most of the times it doesn't. Normally I land on the rear wheel though. The intent I showed in the video above is when I tried setting down the front wheel first.

14 hours ago, niconj said:

Thanks. So you are basically saying that I should do the side hop off two wheels?

Nooo definitely from back wheel, I don't see how you came to that conclusion... just IMO your positioning on the back wheel wants to be less sat up tall and the front wheel lower - I learned from manuals that it all stems from which direction you point your toes - feet parallel to the ground will invoke a 'pencil manny' where the bike sits up tall on the back wheel right on the point of a loop out, and toes upwards will sit the front wheel lower.

Try setting up for a brakeless sidehop on a smaller wall and I think you'll get what I mean pretty quickly, Pull up too much on the set up and it'll dump you on your arse  :D

I will also have to lower the front wheel a bit more on preload.

That'll come from the thing above, it'll just happen automatically.

I have tried landing on the wall with my rear brake open at least. It works from time to time and sometimes I even land smoothly on the wall. The same with turning the bars left upon landing. Sometimes it works, most of the times it doesn't. Normally I land on the rear wheel though. The intent I showed in the video above is when I tried setting down the front wheel first.

Try it like you did in the video, using the back brake on but don't pull the front brake. It might work, it might not, everyone's got to find what works for them.

Edited by CC12345678910

50 minutes ago, insomnia said:

@niconj instead of asking all this questions you Should simply Meet up with me and @Martin Direske for a Weekend. We will work your sidehop technique Out, Trust me.

how Comes weve Never Ridden?

Yeah well, I don't get to go out much and around 400km is a bit much. This video analysis is all that'll have to do for now.

Edited by niconj

11 hours ago, niconj said:

Yeah well, I don't get to go out much and around 400km is a bit much. This video analysis is all that'll have to do for now.

Booooo 

The first 4 years I rode trials I would drive 5 hours if there was a possible group ride...you've got a chance to ride with some really good fun riders, take advantage! 

Edited by AndyT

28 minutes ago, AndyT said:

Booooo 

The first 4 years I rode trials I would drive 5 hours if there was a possible group ride...you've got a chance to ride with some really good fun riders, take advantage! 

Children, job, dog to take care of. I don't really have much time and I'd rather spend the time riding than driving. ;) It's not that I didn't want to, I just don't have the time. I don't even ride much with local riders, many of whom have been riding for +15 years.

Edited by niconj

You spend a good amount of time asking questions here :) 

talk to to your lady and maybe one day she'll let you go play.. If she loves you and it's important to you, you'll be alright.

One ride with some other people who really help you is worth more than a thousand posts on here. Skip working out for a month, spend that time w your family, and earn a little daycation driving out to a life changing ride.

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 5

I rode with a couple of very good people last weekend. :D I don't know if you guys know Marko Berthold but he was here and well... I was amazed how high he got without even forcing himself too much (this obstacle for example he did without any effort whatsoever).

I didn't talk to them much though.

Here's a video of one of the very first sidehops on the new bike. It seems a bit easier although I still have to find the balance point.

Edited by niconj

Going back the strength and flexibility subject. I'm getting back into trials at 37 years old after 20 years away from the sport. In anticipation of the physical stress, I began engaging in daily core workouts and calisthenics a month in advance of riding. The foot, back, and knee pain that set in when I started riding (just 5 minutes per day) were excruciating and I was confused. Trips to the chiropractor were not helping with the back pain. I was convinced that I just need to strengthen my core more. Then one morning I had the bright idea to stretch my hamstrings. My wife laughed out loud when I could barely touch the tops of my ankles. After spending 2 minutes stretching my hamstrings while seated on the floor, my back pain was gone! I've been stretching morning and evening ever since and it has alleviated knee a much of the foot pain as well. Stretching is way underrated.

Not sure if this has already been pointed out, but your sidehop here is way higher than the wall you're jumping onto. It might be just a matter of being used to the thing, but if you learn to sidehop without extra space between you and the wall, you'll be able to cover higher walls with the same side hop. I know it's kinda obvious but I really found this useful, not only for height but also for balance on the obstacle once you jump onto it, especially if it's a plank or a log

14 minutes ago, Bottleneck said:

but your sidehop here is way higher than the wall you're jumping onto.

Yep. I can probably jump 20cm higher or even more. My problem is mentally. I don't jump as high if the wall is higher. It really sucks. That's why I try to get it right on this wall 1000x to just close my eyes on a higher wall. :D

It took me (quite) a few dents on the chainstay and scuffs on the dropout to learn not to panic and put my foot down before the rear wheel landed onto the wall when trying higher sidehops. But hey, there are chainstay protectors, thank god  (Y)

Edited by Bottleneck

• 3 weeks later...

I still have to fight against the blockade inside my head. This side hop I did without barely warming up. I caught myself by surprise so that I didn't have time to think about what could go wrong. I know that there is nothing to be afraid of other than scratching my frame but still, the blockade persists. Still, this wall is a step forward for me ( I even did this to rear one time but unfortunately, there wasn't anyone around to film it).

p.s.: I will turn the levers a bit upwards.

Edited by niconj

Looking a little chunky there mate, have you started an american diet of pure corn syrup and lard?

Still stiff as fuuuuu looking, I don't think that compression shirt is helping.  I ride in XXXXL t shirts mostly, keeps me flowy and mad chill.  

Look hunched way forwards, but good job having progress. I'd roll those bars back about 50 degrees but again that's just my american way, on my way to mcdonalds right now.

Let's see a picture of the camera "oh no" sayer (Y)

57 minutes ago, AndyT said:

Looking a little chunky there mate, have you started an american diet of pure corn syrup and lard?

Still stiff as fuuuuu looking

Let's see a picture of the camera "oh no" sayer (Y)

Yes and yes. Had many parties lately and couldn't resist eating a lot. Having Damon as my idol I think I still have to eat more lard though. :D I haven't had a go at flexibility yet as I have to decide between riding and doing yoga and the latter... well...

The "oh no" sayer, I don't even know why he said it in English being German, is a kid I don't even know but who outed himself as a "youtuber" and wanted to film me. :D

edit: Bars are in line with the stem.

Edited by niconj