Sidehop technique/strength question

niconj

Went out today and did what was suggested here. I did like 200 side hops and somehow got the "land front wheel first" thing done. What doesn't feel right is the kick, rear wheel barely moves still... preload could be better as well...

Edited by niconj

Yeah, it does look like you're not really moving your pedals around much, then you're landing with your front foot pretty high? Maybe try doing a couple where when you let the brake off to do the kick you deliberately leave it off. If you've got the front brake covered that'll catch you on the top anyway, but by letting your rear wheel spin you'll allow your drivetrain/cranks to continue to rotate too so you'll get your bike up higher underneath you (rather than being limited by your front pedal height).

Also, you look like you need to exaggerate the movements a bit more too. Not in a "Bring back "the tuck thread"" way, but more to get your body weight moving more to help bring the bike up. You could have some human flea vertical jump steez but if you're only preloading and moving your body a tiny amount you'll never be able to use that power.

• Like 1

Hm... seems like a lot of work... But at least you get what I mean by my rear wheel not moving much. Thanks for the suggestion with leaving the brake off. I'll do that.

Edited by niconj

That looks like it's just rear brake related though - from looking at the tyre logos your wheel's barely spinning and you're landing with your front pedal in a 'cocked' position so once you allow that to all be fed through the drivetrain you'll be better off (Y)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I've tried a million times to improve my side hop technique but I just can't really let go off the rear brake. :( The funny thing is though, that if I do the jump like in the pictures of my first post, I let go of the brake. I think I will do this a lot from now on and then, once I'm stable in this technique, try to transfer it to the side hop. It isn't really any different except that you land rear wheel first. It also kinda feels nicer not having to put the front wheel down first.

It takes ages to make your body get rid of the bad habits. Even if in your mind is crystal clear what you have to do. For instance, after I don't know how many thousands of sidehops I can't tuck the bike under me properly.

i've been training as well and i think i've made big progress. not so much height-wise (don't have a good obstacle around), but distance-wise. i can do a 1m-sidehop pretty comfortably now.

the trick for me was indeed keeping my back straighter and the bike more upright. now i'm jumping off at a point where before i was already feeling like i'm losing balance.

Well... I think I could jump 1m or more to the side but it's the "up" that I can't really manage yet. When doing the sidehop to rear (which I think is what it's called) everything feels just so right. Once I'm parralel to the wall it becomes weird. Probably because I can't really see how high my rear wheel is or where exactly it lands.

This influences my braking technique as described above and also the way I preload. When doing it to rear and being sort of diagonally to the wall it's different even though it really shouldn't be.

Dunno if you get what I mean.

Edited by niconj

totally the same thing here. without a wall i can jump comfortably, letting go of the brake and all. next to the wall and it's gone.

i think in my case part of the problem is being too close to the wall, so it gets cramped.

i've now started training sidehops onto stairs. feels a bit less awkward.

all i can say is that i doubled my sidehop distance lately.

Thats not that bad? More kick and preload takes time. Strength and flexible joints doesn't mean perfect technique, and mind set of how high you want to hop up untill you feel uncomfortable. It seems your getting there though just give it a few months :)

Message me nico

I can point you out a strength regime that'l help your sidehops no end, Iv recently got higher using it

Thanks so much for the offer. PM'd you. :)

I think I will have to get down the technique first in order to use the strength I already have. In the last video I don't even jump a lot because I am too unstable on the rear and the technique is crap.

Edited by niconj

Message me nico

I can point you out a strength regime that'l help your sidehops no end, Iv recently got higher using it

Is your gym route dedicated to improving you trials ability or just another hobbie? Edited by dave33

• 5 months later...

at which point are you all opening your rear brake?

i always keep my brake locked until i'm on my way upwards. so most weight is already off the back wheel when i add the kick.

lately i've been trying to open the brake before squatting to jump, to use the brake only to get up on the back wheel and find initial balance. this way i can get more momentum down but it's also a lot harder balance-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I loosen the brake once I pedal kick not earlier. Sometimes I catch myself not letting go... :D 

As for my initial question. I haven't been able to ride lately but went to the gym fairly often. I did a routine of upper body strength, deadlifts and squats. Yesterday I went back to the wall in the above shown video and even though my technique ist still shit, I get up that wall fairly easy. So yeah... strength does help a lot but I guess technique does so even more.

i've been doing sidehops brakeless for some time. i'm using the back brake only to go up on the back wheel,  find a balance point on the backwheel, then do the actual hop without brakes.
i like it a lot, much smoother. i can get sideways movement much easier, so i don't have to be as close to the wall as with brakes, which makes things cramped.

also it gave me sore muscles in my bum after two days.

On August 17, 2015 at 2:20 AM, DAMON WATSON. said:

Message me nico

Could you mind posting it up for everyone to see??

I'm sure a lot of people would Ike to hear it, myself included.