Hubs

uk24

I'm thinking of getting a new rear hub but not sure what to get.

I've ruled out a pro 2 as I have had them and were ok but want something abit more bling I guess.

I like so far:

Profile elite mtb hub

Dt swiss 240 single speed

Tune singlespeeder D

has anyone ran a tune hub or a dt swiss hub?

I stand corrected. To be honest I have already ruled out hope its all down to personal choice and I don't want to use their hubs! I would defiantly consider a King again the dt swiss is light though only 243g.

King or Hope are your two realistic, proven, reliable choices. I would go for the Hope.

I might be mistaken but the DTs only have 18 engagement points and if you buy the upgrade 36. Go for the HOPE!

Has no one looked beyond these two hubs though I mean the tune hub looks pretty good titanium freewheel and german built.

Tune hubs aren't that good really. Way to expensive for what you get. Go for the HOPE.

Edited by niconj

Personally I would go for a king given that you don't want a hope, it's reliable proven tech; however general consensus of opinion is that modern king hubs aren't as good as the old ones and they are more prone to skipping - how much of this is being down to people not bedding them in for long enough I don't know. The king is lighter than the hope.

A lot of people used profile hubs on mods but I seem to recall them proving unreliable when used for 26" wheels due to the increased torque loads on the pawls, couldn't tell you anything about modern ones.

I have a king discgotech that I got of Ben Travis almost decade ago, it's been faultless with nothing more than a clean of the splines every couple of years. Changed the axle to HD/funbolts because one came up cheap and the back of the triton appreciated the stiffness (titanium is flexy as hell) but still using the original king aluminium drive shell - had to file the splines smooth a couple of times but works just fine with wide based sprockets.

• Like 1

I might look at king, I remember Hadley being up there in the hub world to. I run 24inch wheels so I dunno if that would make a difference with issues with increased torque loads. Would annoy me slightly that a new king would be around £400 when I seem to remember paying about £290 for my first one.

does tarty sell the undrilled inspired rims? there is zero chance of me running a hope hub

If we have some, they'll be on the site.

That's fair enough, but you'll spend more on an inferior item, we're trying to save you money!