Hubs

uk24

Hey man, I've got a few Spikes left in chrome and white. If you're a fan of black then the Inspired undrilleds on Tarty are a good choice (Y)

The guys who've posted already have given you credible advice :). The DT will feel like crap and then proceed to die horribly, not to mention it might end up hurting you so steer clear. The updated Hope 80ep hubs are really excellent. But.... you don't want a Hope hub no matter how good they are. So get an ISO King and remember to bed it in sufficiently.

If you want something different but still fine for trials then the billion-ep Profiles should be fine on a 24" rim I'd imagine.

Little off-topic but aimed at Pro 2 80ep owners: how long did you allow yours to bed in before doing anything trialsy?

Edited by Sponge

The latest Syndicate video had the mechanics talking about the King hubs Peaty, Minnar and Rat Boy use. They put a drill on the end of them and spin the f**k out of them to bed them in. (Y)

You'll pick up a second hand King wheel for about £130-£150.

There is a boy on here with a load of spank rims in different colours. Have a search in the FS section.

Aye, him....

Little off-topic but aimed at Pro 2 80ep owners: how long do you allow yours to bed in before doing anything trialsy?

As far as I know they are good to go straight off the bat.

The latest Syndicate video had the mechanics talking about the King hubs Peaty, Minnar and Rat Boy use. They put a drill on the end of them and spin the f**k out of them to bed them in. (Y)

That's how I bedded in my echo sl freewheel. How this guy can consider anything other than hope for trials is beyond me. Chris Kings are miles too much money

One of the French riders on the Ozonys street team was running the new Profile hubs and they did look rather nice, He posted a picture about a month later with his bike running Hopes (in the same colour) so I imagine that the hubs aren't up to the job the same. I also have had issues with King hubs in the past and have seen other riders eat shit running them (including a jaw break and some pretty bad scaffolding around his head for over a month).

Hope are designed around trials, they're a 10 year or more design that's been tweaked over the years to make sure they're as faultless as they can be, easy to service and just give you that reassurance you need.

If I didn't run a Hope I would move to a Trialtech 16t freewheel.

Edited by Paperclip
  • Like 1

That'll be a no then.

I believe all the dark red Arcades have come with the 40t version of the hub, so it's possible he might have done.

As said, it's weird that despite good experiences and all the pros of running a Hope hub, you'd rather run something that isn't as good. The 40t versions feel really good (and don't really require any bedding in as such - I put mine on at Tarty Days and haven't really done anything with them and they've been fine), and are a very much fit-and-forget item. I'd rather go down that route and have a bike that I can just get on and ride with no worries rather than go for something that I might feel had some kind of novelty value at first but then would quickly become a nuisance when it starts skipping/breaking through normal trials use.

Your call though. For what it's worth, I ran a second hand King for a pretty long time and it was faultless. I got the hub for so cheap that even if I'd needed to put some new bits in it to get it running properly it still wouldn't have been uneconomical. If you keep an eye out you should be able to grab a bargain, especially if you get hold of one with the HD axle already fitted.

• Like 1

its Like some Hope cult on here. I also feel that maybe for 'trials' other hubs might not be up to scratch but my riding style on my fourplay is less static or hoppy I tend do do more rolling moves like hop to manuals/nose manual lines, tailwhips and 180's and inverts, so my question is even if im not doing conventional trials move's would it make that much difference or matter if I ran a 'weaker' hub because my riding style isn't as aggressive on the hub as say a more traditional trials style?

Edited by uk24

if im not doing conventional trials move's would it make that much difference or matter if I ran a 'weaker' hub because my riding style isn't as aggressive on the hub as say a more traditional trials style?

So you're aiming to buy a weaker hub?