Hubs

uk24

I don't have any beef with you not wanting a Hope, I just don't get your reasoning.

When something is clearly tried and tested over a lot of years, why wouldn't you go for it?

It's kinda like GoPro in action cameras, why try anything else if it's proven to be the best? Fair enough if there's a new competitor popped up with a great new product that gets amazing reviews, but I'm not aware of any hubs that fit that criteria.

At the end of the day, buy what you want, but I wouldn't ignore advice given in this thread.

so apart from king and hope how many people have actually tried a profile or have experience of running other hubs rather than hope? in my eyes, the pro2 is just a all mountain hub with a 6speed freewheel on it and 10mm allen key bolts its only cause the word trials is used in its marketing that people are so keen, if dirt jumpers and slopestyle riders can run mavic enduro wheel sets i don't know why people are so closed minded on other hubs!

Because dirt jumpers and slopestyle riders put f**k all force through their hubs compared to trials riders! I'm pretty sure we put hubs and brakes through more force than any other discipline. You really think a Halo hub would last us more than a few weeks?

Also, are you sure it's a mountain bike hub with a short freehub body? I'm pretty sure the mtb version has an alloy freehub, not titanium, and has 24 engagement points instead of the 48 and 80 we get.

If you were trying to save money I could sort of understand it, but you're actually aiming to spend more than a Hope on an inferior product. There's a reason everyone uses Hope.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the mtb version has an alloy freehub, not titanium, and has 24 engagement points instead of the 48 and 80 we get.

And a no needle bearing under the freehub - the important bit!

(Pro2 has a steel freehub body)

• Like 1

Plus they've got the reinforcing 'bump' around the hub body over the ratchet to make sure it's tough enough, which most non-Hope hubs don't have.

Any way though - you're clearly not going to buy a Hope, don't want to buy a second hand King - just go with what you want. Everyone here has clearly stated what they think would be your best option and you don't want to take any of that on board, so that's kind of the end of the thread really. We'll all carry on following this cult and you can machine-gunning your way through a bunch of other expensive hubs trying to find one you like.

• Like 4

no one makes a better hubs for trials than hope.

If you don't want a hope then the next best is a king.

If you don't want that because you want to be different then go ahead, but don't be too disappointed if it breaks quickly and doesn't get fixed under warranty.

And as for bling - get a hope and just stick some glitter on it or something, seriously wtf...

This thread is f**king stupid.

Interesting question:

What difference between new hope and old one(instead of engagements)? New has more rolling resistance?

The bearings in the cassette body mainly, not much needed to change though other than the ratchet ring. Hope have recently changed their pawls but that is a super minimal change. The end caps are slightly different but that's again minimal.

I switched from old to new and found the new one was super smooth, although that was primarily due to the age of the bearings in my old hub. They don't feel more 'draggy' or anything as a result of the extra engagements (Y)

Lol, no other reason to avoid the more reliable, proven and ideal hub than to be different and not follow a cult.

I've been sat laughing at my phone for the last 10 minutes or so reading this. f**k running hubs double the money that aren't half as up to the job as a hope ever would be.

Mega reliable, excellent customer service... you're f**king stupid to avoid the one hub that would provide years of reliability for what is very reasonable money.