Best budget tyres

Mikee

On 15. Mai 2016 at 4:23 PM, niconj said:

It has a lot of bounce though but it feels awkward off camber.

I got myself a "Der Kaiser" (not the project version) and couldn't be happier, especially at the price of 20€ for a barely ridden one. It's heavy but so much better than the "Baron Project" and I would even go as far as to say, better than the Try All Sticky lite. Off camber it's the bomb. Went out yesterday to ride my favorite rock section and while the Baron would push me in weird directions, the "Der Kaiser" stays in the position I land in. It is also very grippy, no wonder at a 35a compound (I think Tarty measured it).

Ross is spot on here.

I've run kaisers and tryall stiky lites for years with a beefy rear inner tube, and touchwood I do the harshest gaps and don't get punctures. People are often amazed at what I get away with lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, niconj said:

I got myself a "Der Kaiser" (not the project version) and couldn't be happier, especially at the price of 20€ for a barely ridden one. It's heavy but so much better than the "Baron Project" and I would even go as far as to say, better than the Try All Sticky lite. Off camber it's the bomb. Went out yesterday to ride my favorite rock section and while the Baron would push me in weird directions, the "Der Kaiser" stays in the position I land in. It is also very grippy, no wonder at a 35a compound (I think Tarty measured it).

It's worth noting there are two compounds of Black Chilli that Conti use for the Der Kaiser - there's the boss as f**k super slow rebound soft ones that we measured at 35a, then there's the one made out of a combination of tarmac, concrete, brick and whatever other really hard shit they could find near the factory.  Due to the casing, build and tread design they're still pretty grippy, but the beast rubber ones are in another league.  You'd be able to tell which one you've got by smearing one of the bigger tread blocks around with your thumb.  If you press one of the blocks down/sideways with your thumb and it feels fairly pliable, then when you release your thumb it takes a bit of time to return to it's original state, you've got the good one.

That said, the 'bad' one is still decent.  Matt Arkwright cheaped out and got the harder one and for most normal riding it was still grippy enough.  Both versions seem to last a long, long time in any case, so even though they might cost a touch more at first they usually outlast most other tyres whilst also performing better.

3 hours ago, Mark W said:

It's worth noting there are two compounds of Black Chilli that Conti use for the Der Kaiser - there's the boss as f**k super slow rebound soft ones that we measured at 35a, then there's the one made out of a combination of tarmac, concrete, brick and whatever other really hard shit they could find near the factory. 

Isn't there only one BCC version and another, not made in Germany version that doesn't have BCC? The funny thing is that my tyre doesn't say anywhere that it's BCC but it says "made in Germany" which I take for being made of BCC.

Edited by niconj

Possibly, although RockMan frames have "Made in Singapore" stamped on the chainstays and they're not...

I can't remember about the BCC thing, although again they claim the Rubber Queen is their Black Chilli compound, but that compound is completely different to the Black Chilli Der Kaisers, which are also different to the... so it seems they just pretty much throw the same terms around but just delineate them by the pricepoint, which then also gets complicated - especially with the amount of shops who claim to have 'folding' Der Kaiser tyres...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Possibly, although RockMan frames have "Made in Singapore" stamped on the chainstays and they're not...

I can't remember about the BCC thing, although again they claim the Rubber Queen is their Black Chilli compound, but that compound is completely different to the Black Chilli Der Kaisers, which are also different to the... so it seems they just pretty much throw the same terms around but just delineate them by the pricepoint, which then also gets complicated - especially with the amount of shops who claim to have 'folding' Der Kaiser tyres...

True... haven't though about this. I will ask them about the BCC. They seem to have a very good customer service so I expect an answer pretty soon.

Think I have a continental der baron  on my hex... Shit is fantastic, 45 psi - feels fine on rocks.. For natural trials on my comp bike I love the Kaiser at a low psi especially for wet rocks... But recently went to a schwalbe Hans Dampf, not quite as good as the Kaiser but light as..

sadly the comp bike with the schwalbe isn't getting any love this year , inspired made the hex too ideal.