Broken disc brake adapter

Swoofty

I once swore by Magura brake adapters, but now I've broken 2 in about 2 years. They were both QM5s for 203 rotors. I've ordered the equivalent Hope adapter and maybe they're stronger. The added bummer is that I didn't catch it right away and I'd been wondering what was up with my rear brake (Oh so not a good feeling!). I guess I should be glad that even broken it held together well enough not to fail catastrophically. Braking chains has caused me far more grief. So the moral to the story is when you hear one of those 'PING!' sounds and it's not a spoke or the chain, do a serious bolt check!

IMG_20190507_150353.jpg

• Like 2

I recently snapped a Caliper mount after a Shimano mount bent outwards in the middle. I have got some chunkier ones on now which seem fine. Think they are old Hayes ones. Good luck with the hope 

• 2 years later...

DAMN! Ok that's serious power. Are those 203 rotors or 220? It is better than breaking your frame mount. I very much appreciate it when trials companies put their brake mounts at the 180 rotor position so even if you do go for 203s, the adapter isn't too large. You should probably find a machine shop and have one made of steel.

5 hours ago, LEON said:

Just replace them 2 or 3 times a year, it's a £10 part. You shouldn't expect it to last forever under the stress of trials. Same as a chain. Don't just wait for it to break.

unfortunately, the 4th (Hope) was only installed 3 weeks ago. The others, except the shimano lasted almost more than 8 months. And it is very hard to find those fat Avid adapters or the formula specially here in middle asia.

I hate to ask, but this is the current world we live in; are you sure those are legit Hope and Magura adapters? The Hope should have a letter cast into the adapter (that one looks like an 'H' version) and the Maguras have white printing with the adapter code (QM5, QM10, etc). That does seem like a curiously high rate of failure. Another option would be to drop down to 180s and use 4 piston brakes (or stick with 2 piston). James Barton uses 180s on his 26" so should work for mortals like us too.

2 hours ago, Swoofty said:

I hate to ask, but this is the current world we live in; are you sure those are legit Hope and Magura adapters? The Hope should have a letter cast into the adapter (that one looks like an 'H' version) and the Maguras have white printing with the adapter code (QM5, QM10, etc). That does seem like a curiously high rate of failure. Another option would be to drop down to 180s and use 4 piston brakes (or stick with 2 piston). James Barton uses 180s on his 26" so should work for mortals like us too.

I’m running saint m810s with a 180 on the rear and the power is insane. Using EBC red pads. I have to say though I’ve not had the set up long so can’t comment on durability but I can confirm that 180 is plenty.

740B9EC9-7977-4054-B911-15D6BB17366A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Swoofty said:

I am not sure if it was legit since I broke it. All I know is the cost is way more and it felt so light compared to undranded adapters I had. Going 180 will be my next step, if i ever broke another adapter. I am waiting for the one I ordered and try. This is by far the only fat I saw online...

382905.jpg

IMAG0994.jpg

Edited by MaderaMark

11 hours ago, Swoofty said:

Yup, that looks like a real Hope, but like Adam said, that looks like it had a manufacturing problem. Good aluminum doesn't look like that when it fails.

i also found soe adapters made from a 7075 heat treated, forged alloy and CNC finished. Not sure how true, but all I can see is the adapter is fat compared to shimano or sram.

Thus also looking to Baradine or Bengal, or whichever looks tough if ever that formula isn't available.