Leeson bottom bracket size

mike425

Hi all, I have recently acquired a Leeson 609 which I have refurbed and just in the process of building. I am trying to source a bottom bracket for it, but I have square taper cranks so choice seems limited.

Does anyone know the official size of it? I am guessing I will have to turn the lip down on the bb?

I have lost the original one so cant measure it. 

Thanks

As you say from memory they had the lip machined off and were held in with a circlip.  I can't help on size but i'd suggest you get the longest one available. You should be able to measure the shell size.

Does anyone know the reason for them doing that setup?  I only found out about it after someone I knew had to send their frame off to Leeson to have a new BB fitted, but didn't know what the thinking was behind it.

I have a vague memory of Ed Potts telling me it was simply because Leeson didn't have a tube bender, and having the super-wide extended BB shell meant he could get away with using straight chainstays.
(Hence also having brazed straight tubing for the seatstays.)
I kind of want that to be true and not at the same time :lol:

Edit: Which could be marketed as "for rigidity" if desired. Funny how that whole thing came back around but more purposefully with the Crewkerz frames.

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, aener said:

Edit: Which could be marketed as "for rigidity" if desired. Funny how that whole thing came back around but more purposefully with the Crewkerz frames.

They do say history is cyclical, I guess.  Punz.

Much like Leeson's hands were tied in one way, I suppose Crewkerz's'zs's are in another with those weird offset AS30 BB shells and cranksets they have to use nowadays.

Cheers for the clarification Ross (Y)  Good to know what the deal is finally!