Am I sidehoping the wrong way?

Olliee

Hi trials forum, back riding again after many many years away from the sport, I always used to hop into my.leading foot (I'm right footed) so I guess you would say I ride goofy I can side hop 5x as high and feels comfortable and natural hoping into my right foot, I was always told this was wrong does it really matter? Watching the old Neil tunni videos and he did the same, just wanted to hear your thoughts many thanks Ollie 

Edited by Olliee

I think it's worth taking the time to do. I preferred side hopping to my bad side for over ten years before I really learned to sidehop to my rear foot side. Took some time before it felt natural, now it feels way better and I can sidehop a bit higher that way.

As with many things, comparing oneself to someone as talented as Neil isn't really fair. He's not human.

Edited by cwtrials

I could only wish to be good as he is! I was just wondering how much it actually matters, as this evening I was trying to do it the correct way as you say but just got distracted and didn't enjoy my evening practice 

It depends where you want to take your riding.

If you see yourself doing comps/natural/TGS then it might be worth learning the other direction as you're less likely to hit your pedal in tight spots.

If you see yourself riding more streety then I wouldn't change anything, sidehopping to your back foot usually makes street riders ride goofy and unable to spin properly...I've seen it a million times and it happened to me (mostly managed to un-learn bad habits and re-learn good ones although some bad ones still exist).

I was literally just watching your vlogs! So what your saying is riding the way I am now will be of benefit of I want to ride Street which eventually I would love to get myself and inspired after I feel I have learnt well on my jitsie, I will work on sidehoping the right way but I still want to be able to enjoy my rides

5 minutes ago, Ali C said:

That's cool to hear :) And yeah, I'd say carry on as you are, it won't give you any bad spinning habits like going the other way does.

Out of interest what do you mean by bad spinning habits? 15 years ago I went through the experience of being told to swap my sidehops and did. But when you talk about poor habits - what is it I may / may not have caused?? 

12 hours ago, Matt24. said:

Out of interest what do you mean by bad spinning habits? 15 years ago I went through the experience of being told to swap my sidehops and did. But when you talk about poor habits - what is it I may / may not have caused?? 

I mean spinning opposite (often with a bitch crank).

It comes down to which side of the bike you tuck on, if you sidehop towards your good foot then you tuck to your bad foot side, tucking to this side makes it more natural to spin regular but if you sidehop to your bad foot side then you tuck the other way which goes against the natural spinning direction.

Now it is possible to spin goofy and still look good (many BMXers do) but it's s till a bit of a handicap that you may as well try to iron out at the beginning.

• Like 1

I tuck to my right foot as I sidehop to my right foot, if I was to 180 spin, I spin into my left foot (anti-clockwise) so is this wrong? I'm confused as I thought you said that it will be easier for me if I was doing street trials riding? 

Same as sidehops, there's a general feeling that sidehopping towards your back foot is the natural direction...there'll still be people that find it natural to go the other way but it'll be a smaller percentage. Same with skateboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding etc, they all have a natural stance and direction to spin.

I've no bad feelings for people who spin goofy, Tom Dugan is one of my favourite BMX riders and he does (spins with a bitch crank is another matter), I just know from my own experience and from seeing others that it's helpful to have riding techniques compliment each other. I used to spin opposite but it meant some moves didn't link or felt really awkward to do so I un-learned my spins and re-learned the other way, it was a pain in the arse and my riding sucked for a while, I'm just advising newer riders to consider what they want to do so that in the future they don't have compromise their riding or re-learn like I did. If you do EVERYTHING goofy then that's another matter and you shouldn't have any issues with moves not complimenting each other.

I'm also aware that not everyone will be perfect, I sometimes use my back brake in a manual (even though I try not to) so I'm not trying to be a technique natzi but I do think there are things that learning at the start will really help down the road.

I feel that this has got out of hand, I went for a ride yesterday evening and enjoyed my ride knowing I'm not doing anything wrong by siding hoping the (unnatural way) I actually achieved a decent sidehope hop last night, I also go up to back the same way, but I gap the (natural way) with my.front wheel pointing slightly right, and i spin anti-clockwise, ive decided to re visit my sidehops the other way once I'm comfortable and smooth on the bike again.