24" or 26" for a tall rider?

Charlie_EG

Hi guys, I'm new here but can see this is the forum for all trials related questions! 

I come from an DJ/DH/Enduro background but really fancy trying some street trials. 

However, I'm 6'6" and wonder if this will be an issue when selecting a bike? I've narrowed it down to an Inspired Flow Plus 24" or an Inspired Hex 26". 

I really like the look of the Flow Plus but feel that a Hex may be a more practical option? 

Any advice would be truly appreciated :D

Ben Rowlands is also a giant like you and he had no trouble on a 24.....

Main difference between the two (other than the wheelsize) is the reach on the Hex is 15mm bigger so will feel slightly more comfortable I'd have thought. 

Shouldn't hold you back though as it's nothing the right bar/stem combo couldn't fix

Thanks for your reply! 

I've noticed on the Inspired website they actually recommend the Arcade or Hex for someone 2m tall which would suggest 24/26" is viable. As you said it likely comes down to getting the feel with stem and riser bars. I run spank 800mm x 50mm rise bars even on my enduro bike. 

Thanks again for your input. 

• Like 1

It really depends on the kind of riding you want to do. Although you can do pretty much everything on both, the 24" will be a bit easier to spin for example.

Edit: I should add that the Flow wouldn't make as big of a difference in spin ability as the Fourplay, Skye or Arcade would, because it doesn't have much shorter chainstays and wheelbase than the Hex.

Edited by Max F

I'm 6 2 and have a flow plus with arcade rider bars on and it's ok,  you might want a longer stem being abit taller . It's a great bike , I still have the cable disc brakes on and find it all good as being a sort of beginner at 41 .

If you have any queries email tarty bikes they were amazingly helpful when I was buying my flow plus.

Hope that helps 

The deciding factor for me is choosing the bike that's easiest to swap between from your other bikes. I assume your DJ bike is 26"? I'd definitely be considering the Hex over the Fourplay or Arcade for ease of swapping, it'll feel more "normal" and take less adapting to

• Like 1

I came from a MTB background too and the first trial bike I bought was a 26" - almost 15 years ago, there was no choice then. I tried 24" bikes (trial and street) many times. But I never owned one, because my preference goes to 26" (I am 1,78m, 5'10).

Recently I bought a 24" race bmx (I also had a 20" before) and it is really difficult to swap between 26" DJ and this BMX. Too me, it was easier to swap with the 20", because it felt like another kind of bike.

(I found also that riding a different bike for many months helped me to progress)

Nowaday enduro/dh bikes use 27,5" or 29" wheels and long and slack geometries, that differ from the street trial one in many ways. 

It means that you will either way need to adapt when riding your trial bike. 

So if you still own a 26" DJ bike and you ride it regularly, I recommend you to buy the hex.

Edited by La Bourde

I'm 5'11" and i raced x country for 10 years on 26" bikes, but i went straight to 24" trials and the maneuverability of a 24 is unmistakeable. The choices of street 26 is still not very good, but the limited choices of 24" tyres and rims also isn't good. I do ride 26" street now because it makes power moves easier, but i'm always surprised how manueverable the 24 is when i go back. Besides Ali, it doesn't seem like tons of people are moving to 26 from 24 for street trials. Bottom line is neither wheel size will hold you back.