24" tyres

tpickup

I know there's a very limited choice for 24" street tyres. The majority either opting for holy rollers which are difficult to get hold of and Danny Mac tyres which are £50 a pop. 

Iv noticed you can pick up continental double fighter 3 24" x 2" for about £25. 

Anybody any experience or thoughts on running these ? 

Continental_Double_Fighter_III_Reifen_Sport_24__Draht[640x480].jpg

Edited by tpickup
Spelling error

1 hour ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Don't look ideal to me but have no experience of them. I just run Holy Roller 2.4s on my Arcade, paid about £17 per tyre I think.

Where is it you bought holy rollers from as I can't find 2.4 version anywhere 

I’m building up a 24inch Arcade frame and im a bit undecided on which tyres to go for...

The Danny mac 50 a pop seem to be very popular, and I believe they would work well... and I’ve heard they last longer than Holly Rollers so technically could work out  not more expensive in the long run... 

The Holly Rollers are much cheaper and also seem popular, and I believe would work well... and are lighter and cheaper than Danny macs but may not last as long... 

The Scwalbe Table Tops are also relatively inexpensive, are even lighter than Holly Rollers and have been given a thumbs up from Ali C on YouTube... 

Also I see Kendas are popular... the trend being all are around the 2.3 / 2.4 width so 2.0 is deffo gonna be slim for street trials... maybe more suited to dirt jumps...  going for them just because they cost less isn’t a justified reason because of Holly Rollers and Table Tops etc... but if you want them because you like the look of them then go for it.... what’s the worst that could happen! Haha :) 

The Kenda K rads don't hold up well. They are made from a fairly hard rubber that only gets harder with age. Strangely, the 26" Schwalbe table tops are better than the 24" version. In 26" you have two different rubbers available and folding or wire, but there's only one wire bead version available in 24". They never lasted long on my 24s, sadly, but they are very light. I've had dozens (it seems at least) of Holy Rollers over the last decade and they usually hit all the pluses; price, weight and size. However, I'm pretty certain that Maxxis had a run of 24" Holy Rollers that were a little off. The wire bead wouldn't seat properly or they were slightly oversized for 24". The last 4 or so that I've had have all been fine, so maybe that run is gone now. For me Holy Rollers last a good while and the rubber doesn't degrade like the K Rads. I've never tried the D Macs because, like was stated earlier, they're heavy and expensive, but that just means I have no idea how they ride.

I wish there were more 24" options, but the Holy Rollers don't disappoint.

Edited by Swoofty
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Swoofty said:

However, I'm pretty certain that Maxxis had a run of 24" Holy Rollers that were a little off. The wire bead wouldn't sit properly or they were slightly oversized for 24". The last 4 or so that I've had have all been fine, so maybe that run is gone now.

They were a nightmare, I remember coming to my bike one morning and the tyre and tube had popped off the rim overnight

3 hours ago, isitafox said:

They were a nightmare, I remember coming to my bike one morning and the tyre and tube had popped off the rim overnight

Have you had any problems since? I talked to Tarty about it and Maxxis, at the time. Tarty said they thought something might be up too, but had numerous batches mixed so couldn't tell for sure. Maxxis just gave me the run around (I didn't save the emails :-( and I didn't get any free tyres out of them. Luckily, right after that I found a new pair on ebay for $36 and those were fine.