20 Years of Trials Bikes

cwtrials

So, going back through my Pinkbike for sale album, instagram, and FB I managed to pull together pictures of quite a few of the bikes I've had since I started riding trials around 2000.  Thought it would be fun to share.  I've had some pretty neat things, as well as a bunch of pretty standard bikes.

Around 2000 I got my first job and bought my first bike, a Monty X-Alp.  It came with v-brakes and eventually I saved up money for HS-33's.  I still have a video on FB somewhere of riding it like I was cool.  My parents used their credit card to buy it online, and it was the first thing our family ever bought on the internet.  About 12 years after selling it, the kid I sold it to tracked me down and asked if I wanted it back for a little nostalgia.  

ACtC-3dNauzn6gBfEdu6kXnXggPjcvbkqm5mrlQQ

After that came my Brisa B26.  I learned more on that bike in a year than I probably did in the 17-18 years since.  Again, with this bike, I managed to track it down for a bit of nostalgia, where I promptly realized what a freaking tank it was.  Last I checked it was still getting some ride time from some guy up north.

ACtC-3dafMM2yeK3mxxULAJPwQlpvsX_YqttDw7Z

Then I got the mandatory Planet-X Zebdi in about 2003.  I bought the last one Webcyclery had in stock in the USA.  I rode this bike for 7-years straight.  Mostly without desire for anything else.  Those were the years where I didn't go on any of the online forums and just did what I wanted.  And again, with this bike.  I managed to track it down about 4 years after selling it, built it up for a nostalgia ride.  I don't have a good pic of it complete, but it was fun.

ACtC-3dIfzUC1mOMvPinzvloVoy0rPzUOZAvfHE4

After not riding for a few years during college, I got back into riding to get out of the house during the recession.  Found some local riders and Aki from Trials pads gave me my first seatless frame.  It was a Zhi, some sort of seatless clone.  Also the first bike I started doing little local shows on.

ACtC-3dsqB1NfhKId4CwrE0a8Tup6SMT-Xbh25dH

Briefly rode a KOT in this era
ACtC-3eGPRG9gdxoPJgvJkmTZDiHdxzJqxKNBVfp

Then came the Rockman Slate II I bought from Aki at Trialspads.  This was a big step compared to the Zhi and the Kot and a proper mid school bike IMO. (Also set up the bars a bit more properly).  One of the most enjoyable bikes I've ever owned, absolutely loved this thing.

ACtC-3dsaqBTh_HFMg4tZolNG4H37VzLNGD17A8h

Here's when I started going through bikes like crazy. After the Planet-X for years and a few bikes quick, I was trying to figure out what worked for me.  Short answer, there are no magic bullets in trials.

Echo Lite Mod, the bike that taught me Mod's suck and I freaking hate riding them.
ACtC-3dRkpD2vWoIEKvKjyWWfAXefDCgQUnNboRL

My first street trials bike.  A Diamondback Ashton Effect.  It was actually a pretty cool bike, but showed me pretty quick you can't just get a street trials bike and be the next Danny / Ali.  (Every street trials bike I've ever owned, I've owned for less than two weeks)

ACtC-3ePxO-pON0euaEyfZbvL63vRF8bhtomucmI

Here's the Zhi / Bionic POS long knockoff of a Koxx.  It wasn't a great bike, but when I first opened Cwtrials-Shop my first order was with Zhi, (which was a huge mistake, they suck)  You may however notice the same BB7 on the front as some of the older bikes.  I bought that brake in 2006 and have been using it on almost every bike since, same cable and housing.
ACtC-3evpZK8SNkgSl0cntuaxD1HFLylvCRr3pHe

The Echo MKII Trials.  Such classic Geo.  I loved this bike, but at this time in trials there was a big push for superlight parts, but the tech wasn't changing, so things just broke all the time.  I think the new bikes are just as light, but super strong (and 3x as $$$)

ACtC-3cVjNJVZzlJMhfKIg_FkzUgALcqcUieI2iv

Some streety bikes... the Hex with suspension was super fun, but none of these lasted very long.

ACtC-3e8cPnogK_Z7srBulvaXIm5DMqY2GWQ47rM

This because was actually pretty boss, I liked it.

ACtC-3cQ7yW-oSbX7gm6C4PHuD4LrjRqBCUMffsF

ACtC-3eBL3PdDhxnqG4bjcLEeb3ZAiuyKKs0GFNV

ACtC-3eOdwdZkDs8ZQ6E_AM1g-elnUjQ9duWNf1c

Next came a couple special ones.  On pinkbike I bought one of Ryan Leech's old Norco Manifesto's.  The guy I bought it from had changed a few parts for the worse since Ryan owned it, but it had a sticker on the fork from Marz R&D which was pretty cool.  Probably the single most fun bike I ever owned.  Really frustrating for anything pogo stick like, but super on the really technical rocks near where I lived up north for awhile, there were a few lines I was only ever able to do on this.

ACtC-3fnX1enYesDeOMMYzcV9A7ysldYE3I_HLEE

I also bought two Frank the Welder WTF frames.  They were made for Lance Trappe and one of them about a million Cirque de Solei shows and had some sort of world record on it.  This is one of three bikes I regret getting rid of.

ACtC-3eT8DkGcx_oCRb4qXNRui4l3Fcw_Ljqs9w2

Here's the bike that reminded me to stick with front disc forever

ACtC-3d9Kho56Q1pUxv0sLa_Po3ozD3Yw9WJAi17

Some Ozonyns 24" action.

ACtC-3emqZXWG30ndHPlVLFFzc7dhv8pdJCNzq5x

ACtC-3eeMo4BD3WKlDI0kDSAdknJ36yNV_-_p3sv

And Ozonys 26" action.  When I owned the bike shop I went through frames like candy.

ACtC-3eA9TQ4Fpvf4mHw8ym3ULBIADYStwfG3Kkj

ACtC-3eOuD4s52xt-hxZiZGv--0Ge_sKDwsYphQD

If it wasn't for the snail cams, this breath would've really stuck around.  I loved the geo.
ACtC-3fR32WCJtVUdP5yYpm0JbtQyr3sqn1V_EGN

The black echo Mark 5?  (it was the one with a really steep head angle) The all black on this was pretty sharp.
ACtC-3e0NK79Gjx8nFS47dURIIOeTu853W_epTZy

And another gu.

ACtC-3cE7u7fYfiknjksS9q5uEM16zKeO1cEQIiY

Around the time of the gu I played around with street one last time with an Element 26" with hopes.  Again short lived.

ACtC-3diYLEBAZfw0NKuXOW8SsNNHO_mGUSABh5T

After awhile I got so sick of horizontal dropouts I bought this crewkerz, just for the tensioner.  The geo was not for me and was what pushed me to go custom with Marino.

ACtC-3eXCV6s129_yLcyZBtK74mLMVA8IngfTbIM

Here's my Marino 24".  Same geo as Ross's Vader, but I have vertical dropouts and a tensioner.  This bike was crazy fun, and I actually just tried to buy it back from the guy I sold it to, lol.  No luck.  Easily more well rounded than any other bike I've ever owned.

ACtC-3enRjB3H4snpYujQltL_LHe1E1AcWheya6q

The Marino 26's, which I'm still riding.  Short, steep, and high, with a 680 reach.  Kinda crazy, but it works perfect.

ACtC-3favq6LO4cv-WxAbYeSm6xAYj7Y-TmzX4sr

ACtC-3em4d95cqG_k8rt1eghjzqKbG41p-gO2b-l

Oh and briefly had this Zoo last year.  I got a desire to go old school, since my riding still is.  It wasn't a bad fit, but I kept the Marino instead

ACtC-3eTGC4IX7nPhMsPOPq2zBKFx8Xt7tFfeZFI

There was also a Crewkerz freed I had somewhere when I became a dealer for awhile, I actually quite enjoyed the geo on that bike.  Had an Echo 24" for a bit and a probably missed a few other bikes somewhere.  And please, I hope my wife doesn't see this thread!

Edited by cwtrials
  • Like 9

This is a really interesting read! Great to see all the pictures too. You’ve got through some bikes for sure! 

I would love to try a Norco out, but never actually seen one in the flesh. My first bike that I learnt the trials basics on had suspension forks and I’ve had the desire to build an ‘all rounder’ with such ever since. With the lack of trials specific  suspension designed frames it might be a case of working something out with Marino m.

The GU with the front magura made me laugh... sticking with a front disc forever haha. 

Lots of love for that Zebdi! Recently built one up and it’s great fun. 

2 hours ago, aener said:

Out of interest - how much has the spec changed in all that time, excluding consumables?
I doubt many people have had one bike that long!

More or less unchanged. I try to replace like for like and deliberately bought a Leeson for its longevity.

I’ve had the same frame, fork, wheels, bar, stem, headset, bottom bracket and cranks since about 2004.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...