Road to Marino

Swoofty

So for no reason in particular, I decided to order a Marino. I'm still currently in love with my Crewkerz Guilty, but nothing lasts forever and it's nice to have a 'backup' bike. I'd been looking at the latest Silex bikes, but none of them were exactly what I wanted so, enter Marino. This will be my Marino build thread over the next however long it takes to get my frame from Peru. The design was finalized and deposit accepted on September 6th, 2021. The numbers are a little Arcade and a little Guilty, but I wanted tapered headset, vertical dropouts and 73mm BB. We'll see what I actually get. I'll keep updating as I go with bits and bobs that will go on the bike. Feel free to make suggestions or comments about my choices.

Marinov2.png

• Like 4

The fork that I chose to design this bike around is the Czar 24/26 urban tapered fork. I've had a few of these forks now and I really like the way they feel. Plus, they were discounted on Tarty Bikes, but only in anodized blue. The frame should come from Marino in silver so this fork will have to get some rattlecan lovin in satin black. I'm feeling orange accents for the build, but I'm not sure what to do about the red 15mm through axle. It seems a little excessive to strip it and re-ano it in orange and painting it is probably not a good option. I'll probably leave it red until the end and hope it doesn't stand out too much.

PXL_20210922_003846584.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:21 PM, Swoofty said:

Feb 3 !?! Holy chit! Well I've got my fingers crossed anyway. Did you go 26 or 24 or 20?

Yeah. I initially got pictures of a tacked up frame in may, no response for a few months after.

26. Lol, it's a bit of a ridiculous design. 

Edited by cwtrials

1 hour ago, cwtrials said:

26. Lol, it's a bit of a ridiculous resign. 

Trials bike? Ridiculous design? I'm not sure how to take that :teehee:

26" makes more sense for a Marino as the 26" street trials market is very underserved.

If your timeline holds for me to I'll need to get myself something else for Christmas!

The contenders for handlebars are the Crewkerz WAW carbon bar or the Comas carbon bar. I've run the Comas bars on my last 3 bikes and I think they're a perfect bar, BUT the WAW bar is stiffer so might feel better on a steel framed bike. The WAW will go on first for a look-see and the Comas will be the fall back. 

PXL_20210926_174718262.jpg

Edited by Swoofty

14 hours ago, Vizla said:

How wide is the Bonz spindle compared to the Shimano's 68/73mm MTB spindles?

Have wondered if it's possible to fit the Bonz crankset onto an MTB frame with a 73mm wide bottom bracket. 

The Bonz is just shy of 100mm. I used it on my Guilty that has an 80mm+ bottom bracket shell. It should work no problem on a 73, you'll just need some spacers to fine tune it. The 2 problems I've found with the Bonz are that nothing but compression holds the freewheel/cog/bash on and the single pinch bolt on the non drive side is not really enough. I have a Bonz on my pure 26" bike and it's been fantastic, but I put a Shimano non drive arm on with 2 pinch bolts. The Bonz crank does unlock a lot of drive possibilities though.

PXL_20211004_021420193.jpg

Thanks for that dude. Yeah did wonder how everything was held in place seeing as there's no threads for a lockring or anything. As the preload from the compression bolt is about 1nm or less - is there play in the system between the freewheel/sprocket and bash moving under torque? With the single pinch bolt, did that just end up coming loose all the time leading to crank on spindle play or did you find another issue with it?

I have the Bonz on my Ozonys Curve also and it has been flawless. For me the key was to replace the non drive side arm and it's been great ever since. I think since the BB is so wide on the Guilty there wasn't enough meat on the spindle for the other arm to hold onto.

PXL_20211005_235803834.jpg

It's interesting that the Guilty has a wider than normal BB. From the sounds of it, it has an 83mm shell like DH frames, correct me if I'm wrong. I wonder why? Maybe a wider crankset/spindle improves stability kinda like how wider rims offer more sidewall support on off-camber surfaces.

Bonz cranks are on the shopping list - really curious how they will work out with a fixed 18t sprocket on a 1x10/11/12 drivetrain. Hopefully the non-drive crank won't have any issues with some blue Loctite on the pinch bolt thread, we'll see. If it has issues then I'll try your Shimano method :)

For your custom Marino, is the mech hanger gonna be replaceable on the vertical dropouts or is it an integrated hanger like on old-school 90's steel frames?

Looking forward to seeing updates!

On 10/12/2021 at 3:56 PM, Vizla said:

For your custom Marino, is the mech hanger gonna be replaceable on the vertical dropouts or is it an integrated hanger like on old-school 90's steel frames?

No idea. I plan on using a different sprung tensioner anyway. Unfortunately Marino doesn't offer a 135 through axle.

Wheels are done now. My purple Profile hub will have to do for the rear; hopefully the color will fit. I re-nippled the front first and tried a silver - orange pattern that I might go back to.

PXL_20211003_194110628.jpg

PXL_20211012_010350491.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 0:55 AM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Tasty front hub! Have you used one on a trials bike (or other bike) before? I'm interested as to how the bearings hold up...

Adam I am completely sold on these hubs. I have 3 of them and the oldest is going on 2 years now and has seen the most use and it is still perfect. The one below is the real gold standard, Hyper Front. It's 76 grams and straight pull 3x disc side and straight pull radial non disc. I wanted to run it on my TMS Evo6, but a carbon disc fork with a 15mm through axle didn't happen so I ran it on my Hex and it was a dream. I ran it with a 203 rotor and it never failed. I'm back on 24" wheels now and I can't find straight pull spokes short enough (double butted) to run the Hyper Front hub on 24" hoops so I'm back on the J bend Hyper JF hub. The prices are comparable with other high end hubs and the build quality is top notch. If I break one, I'll let you know.

PXL_20211021_200222199.jpg

• Like 1

So apparently I'm not a very patient person. I'd wanted one of these Silex frames so I took the opportunity to use all those 'Marino' spare parts and build one. I've been riding the skatepark more lately so I wanted to spare my Guilty from the abuses that brings. That's how I billed it to my wife anyway. First impressions are pretty good, but I'm glad I got the Guilty and not one of these. Guilty wins hands down.

PXL_20211024_210323485.jpg

PXL_20211024_210230148.jpg

PXL_20211024_210219439.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time for new wheels already! The ebay gods were particularly nice to me so i rolled that windfall into some carbon wheels for the Marino/Silex. I looked into BERD spokes after reading Adam's thread about them, but the pre-made spokes only go as short as 240mm and I didn't want to go 4x fo make up the extra length and NO WAY am I gonna splice and solder my own. Who's go that kind of free time these days?!? Anyway, new wheels. Industry Nine Hydra to Lightbicycle Recon 24 and Extralite Hyper JF to Lightbicycle Moto Cruiser 24 with Sapim spokes and nips.

PXL_20211124_230302013.jpg

• Like 3